Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

my male dog will not tie

Customer Question
my male dog will not tie
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/3/2009
Dog Veterinarian: alhdvm, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
alhdvm
alhdvm, Dog Veterinarian

Are you trying to say that your dog will not breed with a female?

How old is your dog?

What breed of dog?

Is the female definitely in heat?

Dr. Hinson
He is 5 years old and very healthy. The female is definitely in heat. He is attempting to mount her but his back legs are slipping. lts almost like he is not getting traction. He's definitely trying until he's worn out. he's not tying up is the botXXXXX XXXXXne.
Have both dogs been bred before? (not necessarily to each other)

What breeds of dog are we talking about?

Is he getting any penetration at all?

Does the female dog have a hymen?

No neither dog has bred before. They are apbt's. The female is 1 and a 1/2 and in her third heat. What is a hymen? He is getting some penetration, but not significant. The bulbus part of his penis is not coming out.
There are a few things that come to mind based on your description however without actually examining him it is hard for me to say exactly. I recommend getting him to your vet for an examination. It actually isn't a bad idea to take both the male and female to see if there are any structural abnormalities that are causing the problem.

Here are some of the things taht may be going on:

1. Persistent penile frenulum. This is a tissue band that leads back and down from the bottom tip of the penis. If your dog has this tissue it will be impossible for him to extrude his penis far enough out to breed the female. This sounds likely in your dog's case.

2. Fracture of the os penis. This is a bone in the penis that runs through the shaft. It is possible for them to break this bone and cause the signs you are seeing however, it is usually a painful condition. So if your dog is not painful this is less likely I think.

3. Tumors of the penis and/or prepuce (sheath that holds the penis)

The hymen is a membrane at the junction of the vestibule and vagina in female dogs. It is rare for this membrane to be completely intact but if it is the male dog may not be able to penetrate into the vagina.

So, I think an examination by your vet is going to be your best bet. I hope this helps. Best of luck!

Dr. Hinson
I have seen him fully extednd his penis all the way to the bulbous gland when cleanning it. So I don't think that hypothesis 1 is the issue. He is definitely not in pain. He is driving me crazy though when the female is not present. He looks out the window and whines all day til she gets here. Could his lack of footing be an issue? I was also told by another breeder that his rear legs will be off the gound in a tie. Is that accurate?
It is good that he can fully extend the penis so the PPF may not be it. It is extremely difficult for me to say without examining him. The footing could be an issue but from what I have seen it doesn't typically pose a problem. If you think it is an issue make sure the dogs in an area with good footing.

If he is tied his feet will not necessarily be off the ground. A lot of it has to do with the size of the dogs. If the female is much larger than him that may be the case but I would not call that a rule of thumb.

I think you are going to get the most information from a vet visit but you can certainly just keep trying. It doesn't sound like an emergency. I don't know how long you have been trying but since they are both "new" at this it may take some practice.

Next time they are breeding you could take a video, post it on Youtube and then send me the link. I will see if that gives me any better ideas. You will of course need to get up close and personal so I can see what is going on with his penis and her vulva.

Dr. Hinson

alhdvm
alhdvm, Dog Veterinarian
My dog has a hernia. Could that affect anything? The vet always told me to not worry about it if it stays the same size. I'll try to video it around 7 when the female comes back again. We tried once today already. Should I try to keep them together as much as possible or keep trying in sessions? Also can the female get pregnant if they don't tie?
I don't think the hernia has anything to do with it if you are talking about an umbilical hernia. If you are talking about an inguinal hernia then maybe it could cause a problem.

Yes, you should try to keep them together as much as possible to maximize your chances.

Do you know what day of heat this is for the female?

Dogs do not have to tie together in order for the female to get pregnant. All that needs to happen is for the male to ejaculate into her. The 'tie' is generally just a guarantee that the breeding was successful, but you don't have to have a tie for it to happen.

I hope this helps.

Dr. Hinson
We figure she is on the 14th day or so of her heat. The owner of the female noticed her swelling about 2 weeks ago. He's not exactly sure when she actually started to bleed because she cleans herself pretty well. My male tried again around 7 but still no tie. She's only in her second heat but definitely looks healthy enough to put down a litter. I've done alot of research online. I'm not trying to be your typical pit breeder that will just breed his dog with any other pit. They are a good match physically . They have very good and comparible traits. They both are pr and dual registered with papers. I have waited five years to come upon a female that I thought was a good mate for my male. Now that she's here I truly want to have success with putting down a litter. There is a high demand for puppies in my area, so I do think I am doing the right thing to continue these dogs lines. Just looking for good guidance. I'm probably going to the vet Wed. or Fri. He said he would examine them both for a reasonable fee. Any other input ould be helpful. I appreciate your help and hope you feel grattitude by my good feedback and tip. Hope you got it. I don't really know how this site works but thanks for everything. Matt.
Yes, I did receive payment and the bonus. Thank you. Please let me know if you have any further questions. I wish you all the best with breeding. It sounds like you are on the right track and trying to be a responsible breeder!

Dr. Hinson
alhdvm
alhdvm
alhdvm, Dog Veterinarian