Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Will a 5mg xanax hurt a 69 lb dog. She found one of mine priescribed

to me and ate it...
Will a 5mg xanax hurt a 69 lb dog. She found one of mine priescribed to me and ate it. will this affect her other than make her very drowsy and sleepy.
7/8/2009
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Nope. I am not concerned about any toxicity associated with this ingestion.

Xanax, although not done regularly, can be given to pets regularly.
http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/alprazolam-xanax/page1.aspx

The high dose range would be 0.05mg per pound equals about 3.5mg for your pet.
So, 5mg is a bit excessive, but a single dose at that amount should have no other ill effect other than what you have pointed out.

Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Dr. Andy, Medical Director