Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

my boston terriers throat/neck seems to be swollen... i read

my boston terrier's throat/neck seems to be swollen... i read on petmd.com that its from the overproduction of white blood cells most likely because of an infection... is there any home remedy for this or do i have to take him to my vet for antibiotics???
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 8 years ago.
I would definitely not make this assumption.
A swelling in the neck. Well, it depends a bit on exactly where, but you have an important differential list:
1. An abscess
2. A cyst
3. A tumor
4. An enlargement of the submandibular lymph node
5. A salivary gland complication (mucocele or infection)
6. Hypersensitivity reaction (i.e. insect bite or sting)

Absolutely, without a doubt, I would get into the vet. No home remedy. Not only will oral antibiotics and anti-inflammatories be necessary, the vet may recommend a fine needle aspirate test.

A fine-needle aspirate test is performed usually without anesthesia and is very quick. Your veterinarian takes a few needle samples from the lump (the needle is no larger than the needle used to give vaccines). The sample is smeared on to microscope slides and submitted to the laboratory. It is not always as definitive as a biopsy (this is a full tissue sample), but often it can yield enough information to determine if it is anything to be worried.
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/cytology-in-dogs/page1.aspx
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/fine-needle-aspiration/page1.aspx

Hope that info helps
I wish the best for both you and your pet. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.
I truly appreciate positive feedback if my advice has been helpful or informative.