Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 7 pound dog keeps lifting his back leg when he is standing

Customer Question
on al fours. He doesn't...
My 7 pound dog keeps lifting his back leg when he is standing on al fours. He doesn't look like he is any pain because he walks on it with no issue. It's been going on for a few days with no sign of improvement. He does not lift his leg when he is running. Just when he is standing still.

Is this a sprain? or should I be concerned that its something more serious? He just started doing it and hes 2 years old.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
6/23/2009
Dog Veterinarian: Bruce R. Coston, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Bruce R. Coston
Bruce R. Coston, Dog Veterinarian

Hello:

Yes, it could be a strain or a sprain. If that is the case, keep him strictly rested and quiet for a few days and see if it resolves.

In small dogs like this, it is quite common for there to be issues in the knee. The most common of these is a condition called medially luxating patella. It is a situation where the knee cap pops out of place to the inside. When this happens, it results in a knee that is fixed in position and generally manifests in a dog as a few hopping steps or holding the leg up. It is easily diagnosed by palpation by an experienced veterinarian. It is a progressive issue that often affects both knees. Eventually it can result in permanent fixation of the knees and crippling arthritis.

It can be fixed surgically by an experienced surgeon. I would have this evaluated to rule out MLP's and discuss treatment options.

Hope this is helpful.

Dr. Coston

For it to be a luxating patella, would the dog always show hopping steps? Because he is not doing so. Also, does luxating patella show at a certain age? All my research claims that you can see it when they are young puppies and he just started to lift his leg last week.

Hello again:

Not all the dogs read the books and know exactly how they ought to behave. Some dogs do not show the typical manifestations. Others, even with significant luxation, show no signs at all until later in the course of the problem.

Also, this is a progressive disorder, so it is possible that the signs you are seeing are the first ones. Even though the problem is present as a young dog, it often is not clinical until the dog is a bit older - like your dog.

Certainly it may not be MLP. But that is the first thing I would rule out. It is graded on a 1-4/4 basis. The repairs are more successful in grade 1-2 rather than waiting till it is a grade 3-4.

Other things to consider would be tick-borne diseases (usually have fever and significant illness with joint pain), cervical disk disease (also usually painful on movement of the neck), strain/sprain, foot injuries or foreign bodies, other knee injuries (like anterior cruciate rupture), etc. But all those things can be evaluated by your vet.

Hope these thoughts are helpful.

Dr. Coston

Bruce R. Coston
Bruce R. Coston, Dog Veterinarian
Bruce R. Coston
Bruce R. Coston
Bruce R. Coston, Dog Veterinarian