Dr. Marie
Dr. Marie, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years in veterinary practice for dogs, cats and pocket pets.
6877700

My Dog ate Saran wrap. What do I do - induce vomiting?

My dog swallowed a piece of saran wrap, about 11 in X 11 in. about 15 mins ago. Should I induce vomiting? If I do and she doesn't bring it up all at once, is there a chance that she could suffocate?

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Marie replied 8 years ago.

Hi there and thanks for your question.
What breed is your dog?
How much does she weigh?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Rats, those are obvious questions. She's a lab, about 60 lb and my best friend.

Expert:  Dr. Marie replied 8 years ago.

I should have figured she was a lab as labs are the most likely breed to eat things they shouldn't!
It is quite unlikely that eating a piece of saran wrap this side will cause any problems. In a smaller dog I would be worried about the wrap wadding up and causing an obstruction. However, in a dog this size it should move through just fine.
You don't need to worry about suffocation as it will have moved past the airway and into the stomach by now.
We will need to watch her over the next few days to see if it passes through. It may help to bulk up her stool by adding a 1/4 tsp of bran to her food or giving her a bran muffin.
If you are worried about her it may not be a bad idea to induce vomiting. You can read about how to do that here:
Vomiting Induction
However, if this was my dog I would likely not induce vomiting.
I hope this information helps! If you have more questions regarding this problem, just hit reply. If I am online I will respond right away. Otherwise I will respond as soon as I come online again.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I might not have been clear. I was worried that if I induce vomiting, can the plastic obstruct her air way on the way up, if it's spreads out.

Expert:  Dr. Marie replied 8 years ago.

Ah, I see. Any time we induce vomiting there is a small chance of aspiration. I wouldn't say that the risk is any higher with saran wrap than any other material.