Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

What to do if my dog ate a stick of Cocoa butter?

What to do if my dog ate a stick of cocoa butter? It is a 64 lb Shepherd mix. The stick was about 3-4 inches long and maybe 3/4 inch across.

Hi Karin!

White chocolate and cocoa butter do not contain the dangerous toxins that are in the semi sweet or milk chocolates so you are safe. Cocoa butter is the fat that is removed from the chocolate liquor.

The amount of theobromine, the toxic component of chocolate, in the cocoa butter is minute compared to the other chocolates so it will not show the toxic effects. It will, however, cause a small digestive disturbance such as vomiting and diarrhea which will subside in a day.

Just keep an eye on him during the day for digestive signs or signs of hyperactivity .

Dr. Loretta