Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog seems to be panting while he is sleeping, sometimes

breathing through his mouth. If...
My dog seems to be panting while he is sleeping, sometimes breathing through his mouth. If I wake him he breathes normal. Is this something to be concerned about. 2.5 yo Westie
5/23/2009
Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian
Is his activity level normal? Eating and drinking well?
Yes on the activity level. He and my other Westie are downstairs running around, barking at passing cars. Eats and drinks as usual. Just seems that as he was laying next to me he was breathing heavily/faster and sometimes through his mouth.
OK, thanks. Is he making any noise, or moving his legs, while this is happening in his sleep?
No, rolls on back if touched in order to have stomach rubbed. I'm a little gunshy as we just lost one to cardio adema(sp?) Not the same symptoms but does involve breathing.
OK, thanks for the info. I'm not too concerned about what you've described, though I can certainly understand why you might be concerned given your recent loss (sorry to hear about that :( ). I think that this sort of behavior might just be normal for him, even though it's a little unusual. If there's no loss in energy level, or weight loss, or difficulty with running and playing, I would not worry too much at this point.
Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian
Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian