Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog seems overly tired alot lately. Sleeping more lately.

Customer Question
My dog seems overly tired...
My dog seems overly tired alot lately. Sleeping more lately. He had an inner ear infection about a month ago. There have been no changes in what he does for his daily activity. He is eating normaly and doesn't seem to be in any pain other than a little stiff after laying down. Should I be concerned or just overly concerned???
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/13/2009
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Marie, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Marie
Dr. Marie, Dog Veterinarian
Hi there and thanks for your question. I just have a few questions before I answer:

How old is your dog?
What breed?
Does he have any other medical problems that you know of?

Thanks!
Dr. Marie
My dog is a choclate lab/ shepard mix and is about five or so years old. No other medical problems other than he had been abused before I got him about 2 years ago. Is very well trained.
OK, thanks for that info.

I can think of a couple of possible reasons for your dog to be lethargic. While it may just be a normal change in behaviour there is a possibility there is a medical reason.

It's possible that your dog is hypothyroid. Dogs with low thyroid values are more prone to infections and so this could explain the ear infection. Thyroid disease can be determined by a blood test and is easily treatable with medication.

Pain is also a possibility. Dogs will do all they can to hide pain and so often all we see is that they are more quiet than usual. If this were my case and the thyroid levels were normal I would probably try a course of anti-inflammatory medications and see if things improve.

It is rare, but some dogs can be lethargic with a condition called either Addison's disease or hypoadrenocorticism. This is a serious condition where the adrenal glands don't make enough adrenaline. Usually these dogs have other symptoms including diarrhea or vomiting, but not always. If your vet is doing a thryoid blood test it may be worthwhile to do a complete wellness check as well. Dogs with Addison's usually have abnormalities in their electrolyte levels.

I hope this information helps! If you have more questions regarding this problem, just hit reply. If I am online I will respond right away. Otherwise I will respond as soon as I come online again. Or, if my answer is sufficient, then please hit accept. Thanks!
Dr. Marie.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.
Dr. Marie
Dr. Marie
Dr. Marie, Dog Veterinarian