UKVETJH
UKVETJH, Veterinary Surgeon
Experience:  BVet Med MRCVS since 2004. Certificate in Veterinary Acupuncture
7313698

After my dog runs he will cough about 4 mins

Hi there,

What age and breed is your dog?

How long has this been going on for?

Is he otherwise well?

Any history of heart/lung disease?

Does he pant excessively too?

Has he ever passed out?

Is he up to date with worming?

Also, whereabouts are you? UK? US?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

She is about 4 yrs old,

she is white english bulldog

about 4 months,

Yes,

No history of any disease,

Yes she pants excessively after run or long walk

no never passed out,

no

We live in North Florida

Hi there,

There are possible reasons for these signs, which we can go through, but I would recommend a visit to the vet as your dog is quite young to be having this type of problem.

Given that you are in a warm and humid climate, then it is worth considering heartworm disease as a possiblity, and even if it is not present, it is an important disease to prevent in that sort of climate. Dogs can be infected via mosquito bites, and the tiny worms can live in the pulmonary artery (the blood vessel that runs between the heart and the lungs). Symptoms can be variable, but coughing especially after exercise is one of them. It is important to diagnose this disease and get it treated if it does exist, as dogs can get very poorly. Diagnosis can be made based on a blood test. More information is enclosed here:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/heartworm-disease-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Another parasite that is worht considering is lungworm. I know that in the US this is very much a geographical disease but is present - your vet will be able to tell you more. It is certainly becoming more prevalent here in the uk and appears to be pften associated with dogs that play with or eat slugs and snails. Usually, nasty infections are present n dogs younger than yours, but again it is worth bearing in mind and preventing if possible.

More info here:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/lungworms-in-dogs/page1.aspx

I would also consider other forms of heart disease too. Even a very subtle heart murmur can cause these signs in a big dog, amd again, the sooner these things are detected and treatment started the better.

I definitely think that a vet exam and poss investigation with blood tests and a chest xray os warranted here. Best to play safe.

I hope this helps,

Jen