How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr.Fiona Your Own Question
Dr.Fiona, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 6273
Experience:  Small animal medicine and surgery - 16 years experience in BC, California and Ontario
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr.Fiona is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my dog just ate a mouse that was killed by poison. should i

This answer was rated:

my dog just ate a mouse that was killed by poison. should i be concerned that i've poisoned my dog?
Hi there,

Welcome to Just Answer! I would like to help you and your dog with this question, but need a bit more information in order to better assist you.

What kind of poison was it?

How much does your dog weigh?

How old and what breed is your dog?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I don't know what kind of poison. I'm sure it's some common mouse poison. It's a rental house and owner put it out about a year ago.


Dog wieghs 40-45 lbs.

She's 7 months old.

She's a mix...hound/terrier...true mutt!


Thank you Fiona!

And are you sure she ate just ONE poisoned mouse?

What country are you in (in Canada, for example, certain poisons are banned, even though they can be bought freely in the USA)?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Yes, I'm sure it was only one.

I'm in western Michigan.



I need just a few moments to write out a detailed answer and will be back asap (about 5- 10min, I will try to type fast!)
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

No worries! Please take the time you need. I really appreciate your help and expertise!


PS: My puppy is acting normal. She ate the mouse about 20-25 minutes ago. Not sure how long it will take for her to feel any of the effects.


Hi again,

So, the short answer is that your dog should be fine!!

Let me explain...

There are a number of different rodenticides (rat or mouse poisons) available. The most common ones act by preventing the body from forming clotting factors which allow the blood to clot.

The body has a store of clotting factors, but no new clotting factors can be made if the animal eats this type of rodenticide. Thus, symptoms do not start immediately, but instead start days to weeks later (depending on the amount of poison eaten).

This is true for the mouse/rat too - it does not die immediately that it eats the poison, but instead dies some days later. Thus, it is very unlikely that the mouse actually had any poison in it on the day it died! Thus, very unlikely that your dog ingested any poison, or if there was some it would be a tiny amount.

When a dog or cat eats a poisoned mouse and is thereby poisoned, it is called "relay poisoning" and it generally happens when the dog/cat catches a LIVE mouse that has poison in its stomach and intestines. And a dog the size of yours would have to eat several live, poisoned mice!

Just so you know, when a dog eats a rodenticide, they will produce a green or blue stool about 1 day later, and start showing symptoms of illness 1-4 days after that. Rodenticides typically cause internal bleeding, which can cause lethargy, vomiting and inappetance, and finally death.

Rat poison is made to taste good so that the rodents will eat it - unfortunately, it tastes good to dogs too and they will also eat it if they find it. Most of the bleeding will be internal (into the belly and lungs) but sometimes we will see blood in the urine, stool or as a nosebleed. So, I do have some concerns about having rat poison on the property at all... but that is a separate issue!

The good news is that there is an antidote for rodenticide poisoning, if you dog does get into the actual poison! Vitamin K1 (and ONLY vitamin K1, not other forms of vitamin K) given by mouth will act as an antidote. The dog needs to stay on them for weeks to months, and they may be expensive. There is now a much more affordable chewable 25mg and 50mg tablet available in the USA.

Here is more information about rodenticide poisoning:

So, your dog should be fine, but do be VERY careful that she does not find the mouse/rat poison as she will be able to smell it and will seek it out as it tastes good!

If this has been helpful, please accept my answer and leave feedback.

If you need more information, just click on reply and I will be here to provide it.



The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would strongly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.

Best wishes to you and to your dog!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Dr. Fiona,

Thank you so much for your detailed message concerning my "mouse poison" question. I've learned a lot from your response and answers. I'll pay closer attention to her stool over the next couple of days and see if any of the symptoms appear. Knowing my puppy's size I didn't think there was enough poison in a mouse to harm her. But, your reply has relieved my concerns.


The poison is in the basement and the dog is never allowed in that area of the house. Actually, I've never seen the poison, but the owner said that they house had "mouse problems" and he had put out poison. Anyway, I'm moving out of this house next weekend. As I was packing, the puppy came down and grabbed the mouse (which I didn't even know was there) and ate it before I could even blink. I will be much more careful in the future to ensure she never makes it down to the basement again!


Again, thank you for your time and responses. I truly appreciate you sharing your knowledge.


Have a wonderful weekend.

With appreciation,

Ginia Hairston


You are so very welcome! It always amazes me what dogs will eat - dead mouse sounds pretty YUCK to me, but I guess your dog thought that was a tasty treat!


I hope that your move goes smoothly and that your dog finds no more tasty treats!

Dr.Fiona and 2 other Dog Veterinary Specialists are ready to help you