Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

How do you know if your dog is dilated

Customer Question
?...
How do you know if your dog is dilated ?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
5/6/2009
Dog Veterinarian: CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist replied 8 years ago
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Are you referring to a pregnant dog ready to give birth?
well i dont know i took her to the vet and he said she was dilated but that was almost a week ago
I do not understand...

Are you talking about a dilated cervix? Is your dog pregnant?

Or are you talking about another part of the body, such as the pupil of the eye being dilated?
yes she is pregnant he confirmed that
Ok - now I am with you...

Just like people, without a vaginal examination, there is no way to look for dilation.

With that said, here is some information for you to help with knowing when she may give birth.

Typically a dog pregnancy is 63 days - so around this time you should pay careful attention to her signs.

Secondly, when the due date is approaching, you can take her rectal temperature. A dogs normal temperature is 100-102.5 degrees. When the temperature drops below 100 degrees, you can likely expect labor within 24-48 hours.

Finally, when it is getting very close, your dog may appear restless, pant, pace around the room, and even shake

I hope you find this information helpful!

_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist