Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

my dog is gulping deeply and moving his neck as if there is

something in it... he is...
my dog is gulping deeply and moving his neck as if there is something in it... he is panting very hard and acting slightly strange. He is licking his front paw fur a lot (not normal) - he went outside and tried eating grass and flowers - he stumbled when he was walking (totally not normal) - sometimes it sounds like he is hiccuping - he 'threw up' salavia and a little white foam yesterday. 2 days ago I gave him a raw hide bone and let him chew it for about 10 minutes and he broke off a peice so I took it away from him. He is a 1.5 year old very large golden doodle. please let me know if i should take him to the dr... I am worried about something stuck in his throat or his stomach being twisted but I am not aware of the classic signs.
5/4/2009
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Thanks for the question .

In direct answer to your question : What you should do, just to be on the safe side is have your vet check your dog over sooner rather than later.

While the symptoms you describe would not allow me or any other vet to pin this down to any one particular disease lots of the symptoms you are describing are giving me cause for concern.

I normally like to suggest home remedies if I can do this safely but in your case I think it is not worth the risk, I am sorry I cannot give you any more specific advice via the internet.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
I dont even feel like this is a real answer... as if this is just a random and generalized answer to my very specific symptoms... it's not a disease.... I was expecting real specific points to my issues....
Hello again,

I am more than happy to go into this issue in depth, but please appreciate that I have to always give the safest possible advice for your dog and in this case because of a range of symptoms which are giving me cause for concern such as the stumbling and the panting I would recommend that you have your dog checked over sooner rather than later. If I was to give people home remedies and it was a serious disease the consequences could be dire.

Having said that I can address some of the issues for you ...

1. This does not sound like a twisted stomach, the signs of this would be a very bloated abdomen which was getting worse by the minute. But as this is a rapidly fatal disease you would have to seek immediate help.

2. It could be something stuck in the throat, this would be rare but again requires immediate attention.

3. Some respiratory diseases like kennel cough can make the owners think there is something stuck in the throat and they can throw up sputum which can be foamy as well. While this is at trivial disease it does respond well to antibiotics.

4. The licking of the paws does not fit in with any of the above but could be stress or allergic skin disease.

I am happy to try and help you so if you have any more specific questions or want further explanation please come straight back to me.

Scott
Thanks so much, this was way more helpful. One more thing that may be good info... he is wiggling his ears (at the same time) as if something was bothering/tickeling him sporadically.... does this also stear you to thinking about the throat or something in the general area? I will take him in tomorrow for sure.

I will accept after this. thanks!

I will accept after this. thanks!
Hello again,

The wiggling of the ears could well be related to a kennel cough type situation as this will be giving him some mild discomfort like a constant sore throat. Another possibility is that is allergic skin disease is part of the picture { licking of the paws } then the ears could be itchy as well.

you are doing the right thing in taking him in tomorrow, I would really appreciate it if you could let me know what the diagnosis is when you have seen the vet.

Regards,

Scott
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Hi there... teddy went outside and ate grass for about a half hour last night... coughed a ton and then did not have one more problem... so i guess it was part of that rawhide??? he is back to his good old doggy self now... thanks goodness.... thanks for all your help.
Hello again,

Thanks so much for letting me know, I am so glad he is better.

Regards,

Scott
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian