Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog ate aluminium foil. What should I do?

My dog ate a piece of aluminum foil approximately 12" x 12" that had chicken grease on it. She vomited a little up this morning. She ate about 12 hours ago. Her demeanor looks normal. Should I give her something to help her pass the foil?

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 8 years ago.

The best thing to do here is to just sit it out, monitor your dog and see what happens. In my experience, most dogs will get away with this type of thing and you will see no ill effects. Hopefully she bit the foil into fragments and it will just pass straight through.

When you think about it, wild dogs and feral dogs will be doing this on a daily basis and this is the way they are adapted to feed as opportunistic feeders and scavengers. They will swallow all sorts of rubbish including food wrappers and foil as in your case.

However there are no guarantees and very occasionally in the past at my clinic I have seen problems. You would be therefor wise to monitor your dog for such signs as vomiting, lethargy, not eating, straining or abdominal pain and of course consult your vet without delay if you do see such symptoms.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

She vomited a little this morning (about a cup). The aluminum was in fragments (very small - looked like flecks of foil). She sleeps all the time so lethargy will be hard to diagnose.

When should I start to see her pass this stuff?

Should I give her some type of human stool softener?

It is good she is vomiting small flecks of tin foil as these are most likely to pass straight through than larger pieces. It should pass through in around 48 hours but this can be variable.

I take your point about her being a sleepy dog anyway, but do monitor her carefully and contact your vet if you see any symptoms.

On a home remedy basis, one of the things that might help is canned pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling.

This is a gentle stool softener for dogs which may help in your situation. You could try two table spoons twice a day for an average sized dog.