Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog has numerous papilloma warts. They have increased dramically

and is what I think...
My dog has numerous papilloma warts. They have increased dramically and is what I think is viral papillomas. I have read many articles regarding their treatment or lack thereof accordingly. I feel that a study recently released (May 2008) from Turkey endorsing a 10 day treatment of azithromycin (zithromax) aintibiotic would be of benefit. Can your group issue a prescription? Or what would you advise? We have been giving her enzymes and only natural pet food for several months but it is progressing.
4/16/2009
Dr.Fiona
Dr.Fiona, Dog Veterinarian
Hi there,

Welcome back to Just Answer!

I would be happy to help you and your dog with this question, but need a bit more information in order to better assist you.

What age of dog?

What breed of dog?

When did this problem start?

Fiona
She is an 11 year old peekapoo. The problem started approximately 6 - 7 months ago with 2 warts. I took her to our vet (who in no way appreciates anyone researching for information or offering suggestions) who diagnosed the papillomas. We live in a very rural area and he is the only game available.
Ahh...

Are they on her lips?

Any chance you have a digital camera?

No, they are on her body. We have been feeding her only all food since and giving her enzyme supplements but it follows the information I read exactly. She now has about 40 all over her. Sorry, no digit camera. They come our as assorted sizes, become "lumpy" and dry and black. They bother her a lot we try to keep her from scratching etc but it's hard. They will usually fall off or get scratched off down to the skin but leave the black areas a little above skin level. I will confess up front that prior to my research she had a terrible diet (mostly human) but since she gets only eagle brand and no "food" unless it's meat only.

Hmmm.... Ok, I don't have any experience with papillomatous growths on the body. I will ask one of my colleagues to step in.

Please stand by and I am sure someone will be right with you!

Fiona

No, they are on her body. We have been feeding her only all natural food since and giving her enzyme supplements but it follows the information I read exactly. She now has about 40 all over her. Sorry, no digit camera. They come our as assorted sizes, become "lumpy" and dry and black. They bother her a lot we try to keep her from scratching etc but it's hard. They will usually fall off or get scratched off down to the skin but leave the black areas a little above skin level. I will confess up front that prior to my research she had a terrible diet (mostly human) but since she gets only eagle brand and no "food" unless it's meat only.

Doctor GF
Doctor GF, Dog Veterinarian

HelloCustomer

Doctor GF here. I have read the information you have provided. Warts caused by viruses in dogs occur in patients less than 2 yrs of age usually and occur aroung the mouth,nose and muzzle. Warts that occur in older dogs ARE NOT viral related and appear to be age related in certain breeds. Unfortunately, poodles are one of the breeds that we see a tremendous number of warts as they age. Viruses do not play a role in these and they do not respond to anything except surgical removal. By definition they should appear like cauliflower on the surface. If they are rounded over or smooth on the surface then another type of skin growth must be considered. Azithromycin, although experimental has shown some promise with the pediatric viral papillomas but not with the patients over the age of five. I would recommend that you have several representative, if not all of them, warts removed and sent for biopsy. Even though they appear benign in nature, you cannot rule out an atypical skin cancer. Azithromycin would probably not cause any problem but i believe the chance of success is less than 5%.

If you have additonal questions then click on reply. If this has helped you then please click on the green accept button so that I may receive credit for my time. As always, advice given on just answer is not a substitute for a thorough exam by a veterinarian. I am only giving you an opinion based on the information you provided. All feedback and bonuses are greatly appreciated!

Good Luck.

Doctor GF

No they are not smooth but are like cauliflower I guess, I called it lumpy. She has probably 40 or so on her so removal is not an option she'd have no skin. This has just occurred in the span of 6 months, I can't believe hardly that it's not a "spreading" type of infection, fungus etc.
OK, but I still would like to try the med but you guys can't issue prescriptions?
Customer

no.....sorry. Federal law prohibits us from writing scripts for patients we have not done a hands on exam. Try discussing it with your vet from the aspect of removing a couple for biopsy and placing your dog on azithromycin as an antibiotic to cover for infection after wart removal. That way you can do both...hopefully!

Doctor GF

Doctor GF
Doctor GF, Dog Veterinarian
Doctor GF
Doctor GF
Doctor GF, Dog Veterinarian