Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

My chihuahua has brown spots on the inside flaps of his ears

My chihuahua has brown spots on the inside flaps of his ears and on the fur side it sorta looks like dry, flaky skin. Any ideas?
Are the ears itchy? Is there any odor?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No odor and they do not seem to be bugging him, but he does not like it when I mess with his ears. On the edges, it looks like he is either lost some fur or it is matted down with the flaky skin, can not really tell.
Are these brown spots moist or dry? How large are these spots?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The spots are about 1/2 cm spots, dry, brown and flaky and on the inside flap of the ear. Sorta looks like brown psoriasis. Can not really see how big the dry flaky spots are on the fur side, but I can scratch off dry flaky skin. I do not know if it hurts him or if he just does not like me messing with his ears, but when left alone, his ears do not seem to bother him.
OK, thanks for the information. Is the ear canal apparently normal, or is there redness, odor, discharge?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
ear canal is perfect, no redness, odor, discharge or bugs. Can I send a picture? Wish I would have thought of that sooner... oops!
Sure, you can attach a picture to your reply, just click the little tree picture above the message window!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
photo's of Tucker's ears, inside and outer.graphic
Thanks for the great picture!

It looks to me like those are areas of Hyperpigmentation, which is a common response to infection or inflammation in the body. The most common cause for this in most dogs is a yeast infection of the skin. Your veterinarian can perform a "tape prep" where a piece of clear tape is applied to the affected area, then pulled off sharply, and applied to a slide, then stained. Yeast can be seen this way, and then proper medications can be prescribed -- usually, oral Ketoconazole and topical Malaseb wipes to clean the area daily.

There may be an underlying allergy or other issue, so if the problem doesn't get better, then that may need to be looked into.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you very much. I very much appreciate your insight. I will get him looked at right away. Thanks again!!!!

Katherine
You're very welcome -- good luck with the little guy! :)