Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog has a red sore looking anus. He seems okay in every

Customer Question
My dog has a red...
My dog has a red sore looking anus. He seems okay in every other aspect, eating, drinking, urinating and defecating okay. Could it possibly be from red ant bites ??
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/3/2009
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
HiCustomer

Welcome to Just Answer. Can you help me with a couple questions?
1) How long has his anus looked red and sore?
2) Has he been scooting his rear end in the past couple days?
3) Has he been licking the area?

No scooting, but he has been licking the area for about a day and a half. I noticed the redness yesterday. I was hoping there was something I could do for him at home to make him more comfortable...
I would be suspicious that the red, sore looking anus could either be a peri-rectal dermatitis or anal gland abscess. Both of these conditions can look similar to what you are describing. Both are pretty uncomfortable. As far as what you can do at home, it is very limited. In an at home situation, the best you can do is to keep the area clean and dry.

If it truly is an anal gland abscess, that is something that won't resolve without your vet becoming involved. This requires flushing/opening of the duct and oral antibiotics to help with the infection.

Here is a link on anal glands.
http://www.VeterinaryPartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=625

Your questioning as to it being due to red ant bites is one that I can't totally rule out. Obviously, if a bunch occurred in that area, that could definitely be the cause. In that situation, keeping the area clean and dry will be the best you can do at home. Once the irritation/bites have resolved, the discomfort will resolve.

I would recommend having him looked at if it persists.

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian