Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog has black spots on some of her front teeth. I brush

Customer Question
My dog has black spots...
My dog has black spots on some of her front teeth. I brush her teeth regularly. Our vet says it is not cavities. What could this be??
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/27/2009
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Andy, Medical Director replied 8 years ago
It could be enamel staining. It also could represent a devitalized tooth (infected or dead tooth). So, if there are any chips in the tooth or significant periodontal disease with increased mobility to the tooth, then it may need to be extracted.
Otherwise, if the tooth is otherwise healthy, monitoring the teeth for further changes is all that is necessary. If your pet is due for a dental cleaning due to tartar/plaque accumulation, then a dental cleaning with an ultrasonic scaler may be able to remove the deposits.
Hope that helps
Good Luck
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Dr. Andy, Medical Director