How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. C. Michael Your Own Question
Dr. C. Michael
Dr. C. Michael, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 44
Experience:  Small Animal Veterinarian and Surgeon
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. C. Michael is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I think my dog pulled a muscle in his thigh what can i do for

Customer Question

I think my dog pulled a muscle in his thigh what can i do for him
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. C. Michael replied 8 years ago.


If you are not inclined to see your vet just yet, there are some things you can do at home. The first is to slow him down. Basically put him on bedrest. He can lay at your feet or in his kennel for the next week. But no walking, runnning stairs or playing. Only take him on a short leash walk to use the restroom and them back into his confinement. Even if he starts to walk better, keep doing the restriction for the full week.


Do not give him tylenol, aleve or aspirin. They can all have serious complications. And if he is really in pain, he won't respond to conservative treatment, your vet can give you better medicatiosn for dogs. But if you start him on your household drugs he can't get the dog pain medications later.


If you can feel a tight muscle or he seems painful when you pet an area on his leg, you can warm pack his leg. Use warm water on a cloth or microwave a damp cloth. Place the cloth in a ziplock and test it on yourself to make sure its not too hot. You can warm pack 2-7 times a day for 10-15 mintues each time.


If the leg does not get better after a week or gets worse, you know its time to see a veterinarian.


I hope this helps


Dr Michael