Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

i cut my yellow labs nail too short, and it wont stop bleeding.

Customer Question
i cut my yellow lab's...
i cut my yellow lab's nail too short, and it won't stop bleeding. i already wrapped it up, but she doesn't like to lay around, and whenever she gets up, it starts to bleed again. and it's bleeding a lot. its been bleeding off and on for about 2 hours. what else should i be doing? thank you
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/16/2009
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Pete, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr Pete
Dr Pete, Dog Veterinarian
Hi
First let me assure you that a dog will not bleed to death from a nail. This is a common problem that vets face.....yes, we sometimes even cut a dog's nail too short ourselves!
The three home remedies that work the best are as follows.
1. Use a bar of normal personal bathroom soap. It shouldn't be fresh out of the packet so it is slightly moist/soft. Drag the nail down the soap. This will pack a small deposit of soap directly on the bleeding capillaries. The soap acts as a cauterising agent as well as a packing over the bleed. You may need to do it 3-4 times to stop the bleeding.
2. Corn starch or flour will sometimes do the job. Pack it on the surface.
3. Holding an ice cube on the bleeding end for a minute constricts the vessels.
The first method is the one I personally use. Once you have used any of these methods keep her as quiet as possible. You can rebandage the foot if necessary.
On rare occasions this doesn't work and a vet may be required to chemical or heat cauterise the bleed at the clinic.
I hope I have been of assistance.
Kindest regards, Peter
Dr Pete
Dr Pete
Dr Pete, Dog Veterinarian