Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of private practice, 10 years of ER medicine, current professor
7770642

why does my dog eat carpet

why does my dog eat carpet?
HiCustomer

This is actually quite a common problem. I take more "carpet" out of dogs a year surgically than anything else. It can be really difficult to stop the behavior. If it is happening and your dog is a puppy (under 2 years old), it may pass. In the meantime, I would get a big crate and keep the dog in the crate while you are not home. It may seem a bit extreme, but I assure you, it is not. I personally have a large breed dog that chews (ate my couch...no kidding...the whole thing) and he lives in a huge crate when we are working. This is both to protect my property and to protect him from a $5000.00 surgical intervention.
I have tried using a variety of sprays on things to stop the behavior. What usually happens to my clients is that they report the animal has stopped chewing on that item and re-focused on something entirely new.

I hope this is of some help to you!

Dr. Pat
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Could there be something that she's not getting in her diet? This is a rescue chihuahua that we have had several years and this has just started in the past few months. She doesn't chew on anything but the indoor/outdoor carpet in the kitchen and 2 throw rugs. The rest of the house is hardwood. She has not chewed on any furniture.

Tell me what you are feeding her, please

Dr. Pat
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

feed them (2) table scraps, dry food is left out and sometimes feed them wet food at night if there are not acceptable table scraps.

HI,
mmmmm...that is interesting. While I think that dogs do really well fed this way, I also think that this is the easiest way to induce a nutritional imbalance.
I would do a few things.

1. Add a multivitamin (Pet tabs are the best and will be pretty inexpensive for a dog her size)
2. Consider having her blood tested. Calcium and Zinc imbalance can cause a variety of bone, skin and anxiety issues. Perhaps this is at the bottom of the new behavior. A good routine blood screen can really help!
3. Add canned food ( a nutritionally complete diet) to her regime. She will probably love it and will eat enough of this type of food to offset any imbalance you might inadvertently be causing.
4. Remove the rugs that she chews to try and arrest the behavior. Provide small chew toys that mimic the rug ( head to the pet store for safe options)

I hope this helps you help her!

Dr. Pat