Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

my dog keeps getting diarrhea every couple days his stool will

Customer Question
be fine then runny then...
my dog keeps getting diarrhea every couple days his stool will be fine then runny then normal and so on , what could be the cause?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/21/2009
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Amy, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. Amy
Dr. Amy, Dog Veterinarian
HelloCustomer

Thank you for your question. I am sorry to hear your dog has diarrhea.    

If this is the first time your dog has had diarrhea and it just started recently I can give you a couple of suggestions.

1)Home treatment:
As long as your dog is not lethargic, losing weight, vomiting, or otherwise acting sick besides the diarrhea you can try this approach. If your dog starts not feeling well you need to see your vet right away. Start by withholding food for 12 hours, water only. Then, feed a bland diet of boiled hamburger (it has to be boiled to remove the fat) and cooked white rice in a ratio of 1:1. You can feed this diet for a couple of days to see if the diarrhea stops. Once it does, you can slowly reintroduce the regular food. If your dog is on a special prescription food you should check with your vet before feeding this diet.

2) Veterinary visit:
Dogs can get diarrhea for several reasons. I can tell you what I do for my patients that come to see me initially for a bout of diarrhea. I do a complete exam and make sure that there are no other medical concerns, and that they are well hydrated. I do a fecal float test to check for intestinal parasites and a fecal cytology to look for organisms like clostridium, spirochete bacteria, and Giardia. An overgrowth of any of these organisms can be treated with a medication called Flagyl. If intestinal parasites are found, a deworming medication can be given.

If this has been going on for several days, I would recommend you skip right to step 2. I am sure both you and your dog would like to have this resolved sooner than later. With step one you might have success, or you might just have a dog with diarrhea for a few more days and still need to go in.

I hope this information was helpful. Let me know if you need anything else. I am here to help.

Dr. Amy
Dr. Amy
Dr. Amy, Dog Veterinarian