Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I read about using a drop of castor oil in a dogs eyes before

Customer Question
going to bed will help...
I read about using a drop of castor oil in a dogs eyes before going to bed will help in clearing up cataracts if they are not too far advanced. Any knowledge of this?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
2/20/2009
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Thanks for the questionCustomer

Sorry to have to tell you that in my opinion this would be completely ineffective and castor oil is not something you should put in a dog's eyes.

At the end of the day the only real solution to cataracts in the dog is surgery. You should beware of products to counter cataracts which are sold over the internet and elsewhere without prescription.

Sorry I have not been able to suggest anything other than surgery.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian