Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My Dog Ate Fiberglass Insulation. What Do I Do?

Customer Question
Our dog ate some fiberglass...

Our dog ate some fiberglass insulation a couple of days ago. Now she is throwing up and not eating or drinking but she is pooping, what should we do?

Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/26/2008
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Maro, Dog Veterinarian replied 9 years ago
Dr. Maro
Dr. Maro, Dog Veterinarian

How much insulation did she eat?

How many days ago exactly?

What size dog is she?

I am not certain how much it was. it was something that was found when we arrived home. She weighs approximately 65-70 pounds. I would say she ate this on Monday.

I cannot say whether or not she has a blockage for sure. It is true that since she is pooping it makes a lower intestinal blockage less likely, but it does not rule out a blockage.

You must remember that fiberglass is actually like tiny pieces of glass and they may be or have, seriously damaged her GI tract. With the fact that she has vomited so much it is unlikely that it is still in her stomach and that you aren't seeing any blood in her vomit is a good sign. I would still worry that the fiberglass is damaging the beginning portion of her small intestine. This could cause a rupture or even a small laceration to the wall of the intestine allowing bacteria/feces to enter her abdomen. Setting her up for peritonitis.

Also she could be suffering from pancreatitis secondary to the abrasions/damage to her intestines from the fiberglass.

If you have access to a emergency clinic tonight I would take her. They may be able to stabilize her overnight for you to be able to get to your own veterinarian tomorrow (thus avoiding a huge bill).

The situation could get much worse quickly and I don't feel comfortable telling you to just watch her until tomorrow.

Dr. Maro
Dr. Maro, Dog Veterinarian
Dr. Maro
Dr. Maro
Dr. Maro, Dog Veterinarian