How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask jadedangel57 Your Own Question
jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 19590
Experience:  breeder/ vet assistant.
2361900
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
jadedangel57 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog ate roach killer and threw up right after, should I be worried?

Resolved Question:

My dog ate roach killer a couple of hours ago. He threw up right afterwords. He seems fine now. I have very little money and do not want to take him to an after hours vet if he is all right. At the same time I do not want him to die. What should I do?
Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Cerecita replied 9 years ago.
Hi,

What brand was the roach trap? Was it a plastic 'disc' type?

Did he chew up and eat the whole thing, or did you find parts of it around?

When he threw up, what did it look like?

Has he eaten since he threw up?

Thanks,
Cher
Customer: replied 9 years ago.

Reply to Cher's Post: Hi,

What brand was the roach trap?

A:Hot Shot max attracts

Was it a plastic 'disc' type?

A: Plastic

Did he chew up and eat the whole thing, or did you find parts of it around?

A: Found plastic pieces around apt.

When he threw up, what did it look like?

A: Yellow with black pieces

Has he eaten since he threw up?

A: Yes he has eaten both meat and milk. He seems to be acting normal now.

Thanks,
birdget

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
I have already replied I am just waiting for your answer. I do not want my dog to die please let me know he will be okay.

thx
bridget
Expert:  jadedangel57 replied 9 years ago.

Bridget,

I apologize for the delay in someone getting back to you. I just noticed you hadn't received an answer.

For the most part these ant traps that are in plastic are not toxic to dogs. If the dog ingests large numbers of them, then there might be more cause to worry, but just one or two should not contain enough poison to do anything at all. However, if your dog ingests the plastic portion, it can cause an intestinal obstruction which can be deadly. YOu can read about these and they symptoms of them on this website.
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/gastric-stomach-foreign-body-in-dogs/page1.aspx

For your information, the following site goes over toxicity of the active ingredient in most baits and your dog would have to consume a large amount to have any toxic response.
http://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/hydra1.htm

Indoxacarb which is used in fireant poison is the active ingredient in Hot Shot max attracts according to the following site and is indeed toxic in some cases. So if this poison is present in the bait eaten, then you should contact your vet or the ASPCA animal poison control. They have a database and toxicologist on call. They do have a $50 charge I believe though. Their No18884264435
http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:SeaaAmIPoQcJ:magritte.psur.cornell.edu/profiles/insect-mite/fenitrothion-methylpara/indoxacarb/indoxacarb_let_504.html+Hot+Shot+max+ingredient&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us

I know the above site says it hasn't proved acutely toxic, but there is some toxicity, so I do need to urge you to see your vet.

Again, I apologize that your question was not answered quicker.

jadedangel57, owner
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 19590
Experience: breeder/ vet assistant.
jadedangel57 and 5 other Dog Veterinary Specialists are ready to help you