Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions
My dog ate chocolate cake and it had marijuana. It was a pot brownie. Please help!
You have two situations here. First the amount of chocolate that may be in the brownies and the marijuana which is a problem. Unless the dog is very small and ate a lot of brownies the chocolate is likely not to be toxic, but I'll include the information for you. Different kinds of chocolates have different toxicity amounts. Chocolate contains theobromine, which is what causes the toxic response. If the dog ate the chocolate recently (within last 2 hours), you can induce vomiting with 1 teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide 3% per 10 pounds, which can be repeated 10 minutes later if it does not induce vomiting. Items such as cookies and cakes will have less actual chocolate in them, so you will have to make an estimate in the amount of chocolate that may have been in the amount of cake, brownie, or cookie your dog may have ingested .Signs of theobromine toxic poisoning should appear within 1 to 4 hours of ingesting the chocolate. These include vomiting, increased thirst, diarrhea, weakness, difficulty keeping balance, hyperexcitability, muscle spasm, seizures, coma and potentially death from an abnormal heart rhythm.The following websites will give you’re the approximate amounts of chocolate that you will need to worry about based on the size of your dog and the type of chocolate. Consult this page to determine if a toxic amount has been ingested.http://www.beaglesunlimited.com/beaglehealth_chocolatetoxicosis.htm http://www.thedachshundnetwork.com/foodtox.htm http://www.michvet.com/library/emergency_chocolate_toxicity.aspIf your dog has ingested enough to be toxic according to the chart, you need to have your dog taken to the vet for supportive care. Your vet can administer charcoal to absorb the toxins and let it pass through your dog’s system with less absorbtion and monitor your dog’s vital signs until the danger has passed.Marijuana can be toxic. It is likely he needs Vet care. Vets are used to seeing this and usually don't ask questions and are not required by law to report it. You can read more about this here: http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_marijuana_toxicity.htmlTHC is stored in the fat and thus the affects of it can last for days. You can burn some toast and see if you can get that down him to absorb some of the toxin. You may want to switch to pedialyte so his electrolytes stay in balance. Put a drop of pancake syrup on his tongue to keep his glucose levels up. Monitor his temperature. It should be between 101-102.5F. You want to keep him warm so if it starts dropping, cover him with a blanket. If need be, warm dry towels on the belly can help.I do urge you to have your dog seen by your vet. I hope this information is helpful to you.