Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM 19 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.
2263760

What causes yellow stool in dogs?

my new dog had diarreah for a little bit, that was yellow. now she seems to be doing a little better, but it's right yellow. what causes that?

How old is your dog?

What is the breed?

What are you feeding her for food and treats?

Has she had anything to eat besides dog food?

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
shes a 7 year old american eskimo. we got her from the humane society on weds. the 7th. around the 15th she had diarrea. it was yellow, and sort of mucuosy. since then it has gotten better, but still very yellow. she has been eating the same as my other dog, pedigree dry food, with a little canned food mixed in. has had a couple of treats, and a couple rawhides.

Thank you.

Do the whites of her eyes or gums look an abnormal color compared to your other dog?

Customer: replied 10 years ago.

not really,its hard to see the whites, their eyes are all black, she's got a lil bloodshot in them, but my other one does too.

Last night and today, i fed her white rice and boiled chicken. hoping it would stiffen her stool..it did, a little

I would start with having a fecal sample checked for giardia and whip worms.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=2386 giardia

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=2386 whipworms

Sometimes bright yellow stool can indicate a problem with the liver (inflammation and jaundice), the pancreas (lack of pancreatic enzymes), or the gall bladder (gall stones and bile). The way to determine if there is a problem with one of these internal organs is to have a blood chemisty run on her. Since she is still eating and not vomiting I do not think it is too severe at this point.

If you are feeding her anything that is light colored that can make her feces yellow as well.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Gabby's Post: if she does have either of those, it's cureable,right?

Yes giardia and whip worms are curable.

If she has a problem with her internal organs it can be treated. It might be curable if it is caused by a bacteria. Then it could be treated with antibiotics. If she had hepatitis or pancreatitis or an intestinal infection those could be cured with antibiotics.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Gabby's Post: thanks so much, you helped ease my mind a little. i will make her a vet appointment tomorrow

You are a great adoptive parent!