Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Why Does My Dog Keep Sneezing and Wheezing?

Customer Question
My dog keeps sneezing and...
My dog keeps sneezing and has these litle wheezing attacks it seems. We just brought a new puppy into the house and now my 6month old Pomeranian is showing these symptons. I also have a 14month old GSD who is sneezing as well. What could be wrong with them? Something that will go away in time?
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/26/2006
Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 10 years ago
jadedangel57

It is possible your dogs may have caught kennel cough or possibly canine influenza from the puppy or possibly a more serious disease. Kennel cough is normally contracted when a dog has been boarded or kenneled or around a large number of dogs such as at a dog show, dog park or pet store. Here is a website with more information on kennel cough. http://www.thepetcenter.com/gen/kenc.html

Canine influenza is now becoming more prevalent and like it sounds it is a canine flu. Here is an excellent site on it.
http://www.cvm.uiuc.edu/petcolumns/showarticle.cfm?id=475

You will want to monitor your dogs condition looking for colored discharge from the nose or eyes, a productive cough (coughs stuff up), stops eating or lethargy. These are signs of a possible bacterial infection as well and my require antibiotics. If your dog appears to be having a difficult time breathing, you will need to see your Vet as some dogs dog get really sick with canine influenza and need support to recover.

To help your dogs breathe easier, Robitussin DM can be used to control the cough and nasal drip. Dosages can be obtained at this website. http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/dextromethorphan-robitussin-dm/page1.aspx

If your dogs have not had all their vaccinations I urge you to have your dogs seen as soon as possible to rule out distemper.

I hope you find this information helpful.

jadedangel57
jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner