Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My Dog Ate Raw Chicken. What Do I Do?

Customer Question
Last night my dog ate...

Last night my dog ate about 6 or 7 pieces of raw chicken that were supposed to be discarded. The chicken was boneless and I want to know what is going to happen and is there anything I can do to help him from getting sick (medicine).

Submitted: 12 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
7/18/2005
Dog Veterinarian: tfalkner,
 replied 12 years ago
tfalkner
Are you seeing any diarrhea or vomiting yet? How long has it been since he ate it?

Hi..Thank you for responding to me and our problem...
No, there is no vomiting or diarrhea and it has been about 7 hours since he ate it.
It was about 2:00 am and it is 8:45 am now.

Dog Veterinarian: DogGoneCafe5,
 replied 12 years ago
DogGoneCafe5

There should not be any problems with your dog. My dogs are fed raw meat on a regular basis, bones and all.
A dogs digestive system is meant to digest raw meat, bones and all.
I would have been more worried if he ate cooked chicken with the bones, cooked bones are dangerous since they can splinter.

But watch for diarrhea, but it would only be the result of him eating a "new" food, not a food that was undesirable.

Dog Veterinarian: crimson_axe,
 replied 12 years ago
crimson_axe

When you say discarded, was it rotten? In most cases it shouldn't be a problem. Even if it had bones uncooked chicken bones don't pose a problem for most dogs. Also if your dog was in good health, it should pass through his system. Remember dogs descend from hunters and scavengers so there digestive system is better built then others for handling this.

crimson_axe

Yes, I believe it was rotten. It had a fowl smell to it.
And yes he is in very good health. There were no bones in the chicken.
Will he be ok?

Dog Veterinarian: DogGoneCafe5,
 replied 12 years ago

Yes.... Even Foul food (although) not recommended on a regular basis won't hurt him. Dogs get into 'garbage' all the time.
Yes... If his 'stools' are fine and he is not vomiting, I would not worry.

crimson_axe
crimson_axe
crimson_axe