Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Is Permatex copper Spray Gasket recommended or necessary for…

Is Permatex copper Spray Gasket...
Is Permatex copper Spray Gasket recommended or necessary for new Head gaskets. It’s a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7L. We a got good quality Fel-Pro gasket set, to have confidence in gasket replacements. When I picked up the head from the machine shop, he recommended using this copper spray. He said the head was hood and was able to tell that they had been resurfaced recently. I’ve never used the copper spray and need a second opinion on using it.
Thanks, Jeff
3/6/2022
Dodge Mechanic: william readon,
 replied 5 months ago
william readon
hi and welcome to JustAnswer.

any type of sealant is not necessary anymore on head gaskets unless specifically stated in the head gasket kit you purchased, it can be used for a secondary level of "safety" however modern gaskets use none and the factory never used a spray on sealer either.

this engine DOES require new head bolts as the original were TTY (torque to yield aka stretch bolts) and once torqued they cannot provide the proper clamping force anymore. The new head set you purchased may come with  torque spec sheet as well DEFINETLY use that sheet as it's common to see different aftermarket head gasket manufacturers require a different torque on the head bolts, if there is no sheet saying other wise use factory torque specs

I went with Fel-Pro and there’s no additional recommendations for gaskets themselves. If I were to get head bolts, I’d also get Fel-Pro and see if there were additional specs on those too.My service manual specifically says they are not TTY on this model. And because of that they give head bolt inspection instructions as part of the procedure between removal and installation, which I did and they passed. The engine had been rebuilt not too long ago. I also got the required Lock and Seal for the M8 bolts.
Dodge Mechanic: william readon,
 replied 5 months ago
as far as i know they are not re-useable head bolts every head i had to replace under warranty back when this engine came out, required new head bolts, it was not possible to determine if they had stretched accurately even with a machinists straight edge.

even if your manual does not say so they are cheap insurance especially if the engine was rebuilt and you somehow lost a head gasket. however you must make the ultimate call  

if i see an engine of any type come through my bay with a bad head gasket it gets head bolts, the exception is the first generation pentastar 3.6 which has an appetite for left cylinder heads and a massive torque spec 

I do agree. You also got me thinking, that these probably are not the factory bolts mentioned in manual. So to mention the design is not the best to take to the bank. If the owner agrees to low cost insurance aspect I will do it. He’s a neighbor and it’s not his daily. He wanted to give up on the truck completely. I had to tell him his truck is worth more than a gasket. Ultimately I will have to decide.On the subject. Some use an assembly lube grease, I’ll send a picture, under the head of head bolts to “assist in achieving torque” I believe they say. What’s your opinion on that?Had to tape it, I think it had a hole in the tube.
Dodge Mechanic: william readon,
 replied 5 months ago

i use a bit of oil only on the threads after being sure the block holes are clean and blown out, i'll also  run a bolt down the hole to be sure the threads are intact, a bit of moly on the bottom of the bolt head won't hurt either, again there are exceptions such as aluminum blocks but on this old engine we just oiled the threads of the head bolts

Sounds great. I will cross the bridge of aluminum heads soon as I have a bmw S55 on a stand as well as a sbf 302. Both will be getting new bolts, but I will review aluminum heads as I get closer to that phase. Thank you again William. I appreciate ya.
Dodge Mechanic: william readon,
 replied 5 months ago

you're welcome

good luck in your adventure and have a terrific weekend

You too!
Dodge Mechanic: william readon,
 replied 5 months ago

.

william readon