Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

06 Dodge Magnum R/T, 5.7. Engine cuts out and restarts

06 Dodge Magnum R/T...

06 Dodge Magnum R/T, 5.7. Engine cuts out and restarts almost imediately. If at stop, starts right back up, but when put in drive acts like neutral, back in park, back in drive, drives normal.

Mechanic's Assistant: How long have you had problems starting the vehicle? Do any lights still turn on?

Starts fine, just shuts down by itself.

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the approximate mileage on your '06 Magnum?

165K

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Dodge Magnum Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

One time it happened a couple of lights on dash remainder on, car with squiggley lines and ESP/BAS stayed on. Owners manual said when this happens, power has been cut while engine is running. There are no codes on the computer.

3/5/2022
Dodge Mechanic: Robert R, ASE Certified Master replied 5 months ago
Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question.  My name is***** be assisting you with your question today. Please give me a few moments to review your question. Also keep in mind that I do not know your skill level or abilities so I may be asking a lot of questions before I can answer.  In some cases we may need to respond to each other quite a bit before I can come up with a possible solution for you. As far as phone calls, If you didn't request it, it is most likely the Website prompting you, not me. A Live Call is a "Premium Service" and will cost more money. I prefer communicating via this site, but in some cases a phone call may be recommended.

The best thing to do at this point is to scan for the "Diagnostic Trouble Codes" (DTC's) from the onboard computers. The DTC's are used as the Starting Point for diagnosis. They let you know which system(s) the fault is in. This information is of great value for correct diagnosis. As a Technician, my first course of action is normally to scan for the DTC's. If you can obtain these codes, we can more accurately and efficiently diagnose the problem. You can have these Codes read for FREE at your local auto part store (AutoZone, O'Reileys, Advanced, etc.). If you post these Diagnostic Trouble Codes here, I can obtain the most accurate information to help you diagnose the Concern, and then point you towards the correct repair.

Post all codes retrieved here and we can continue from there...

Thank you,

Robert

No codes, sorry forgot to mention that. Scanned by local shop.

Were they able to connect with the PCM to verify that it is active and online on the CAN Bus?

No ideaNew info! I just cleaned MAF and added a bottle of Techron High Mileage Fuel System Cleaner. Used CRC MAF cleaner. Started up, idled maybe a minute, died. Check engine light and throttle sensor indicator light were on. Started right up, put in D, didn't engage for a couple seconds.

How often does it stall? When it stalls, does it sputter then stall or just stall as if the key was turned off?

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

An 06 with a 5.7 does not have a Mass Airflow Sensor. Was it the MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensor that was removed and cleaned?

Is the check engine light illuminated during the time that the engine stayed running?

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

It just dies, no sputter. Shop tried for three days to get it to die. I drove it yesterday just fine, died today.
It was the little gadget on intake piping just in front of throttle body!
Check engine light does not stay on.

That item is the Intake Air Temperature sensor.  That would normally have not affected this in any way. If it is stalling with no check engine light or codes, it is likely caused by a failed fuel pump.

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Fuel pump was tested at shop.

It is possible for a fuel pump to work until it gets hot then stall. How did they test the fuel pump? It's recommended to attach a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel rail then attach the gauge to the windshield then drive the vehicle until it stalls. IF pressure is still above 40 when it stalls the problem is not the fuel pump if it goes below 40 when it stalls it is likely a failing fuel pump...

Don't know how they did test, will check, thanks!

This vehicle is equipped with a saddle style fuel tank. There is a fuel flow activated siphon pump on the passenger side that feeds the left side of the tank. IF the siphon pump is not functioning, it is possible that the vehicle s running out of fuel to the pump due to this issue. Recommended to verify all connections inside the fuel tank between the fuel modules from side to side..

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

I know they were aware of the two pumps. I sure they checked but I will verify checking of all connections.car not going immediately in to gear doesn't indicate anything?
It indicates that you may actually have more than one problem. The ENGINE stalling concern, and the TRANSMISSION Delayed Engagement concern. At this time we need to deal with one issue at a time.  On the transmission issue it is recommended to start by checking the transmission fluid. If low, top off the fluid and retest...

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Fluid level is good. I just thought there might have been an electrical issue that could affect the tranny.The only time it doesn't go into gear correctly is after one of these stalls.

You stated that there are no codes, do you know what scan tool was used at your repair shop when they scanned for codes? It's very possible that if they didn't use a "High End Factory Level" scan tool that they may not have attempted to retrieve codes from ALL onboard computers. Anytime the transmission malfunctions, the Transmission Control Module (TCM) will log the fault. After enough failed trips have occurred, the TCM will store the code. At this time I recommend to scan one more time, this time making sure that all modules are scanned and retrieve all codes in all modules. Post any codes retrieved here and I'll do my best to help with this....

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert

Thanks for sticking with me in this. I'm sure they have a high quality scanner. I had a squealing belt on my 67 Coronet R/T, tried many belts, a couple shops, they had a laser device to put on pulley that showed it I was just a little out of line, fixed the problem. Will keep you posted. Thx

Sounds good. I'll be here...

I also need to let you know that my responses may be delayed because I may be helping another customer, or I may be temporarily offline. Your understanding is greatly appreciated.

Thank you...

Robert

What??? You don't just sit around all day waiting for me? Well I never!
Not a problem, you've been pretty darn prompt so far! Have a great day!

Thank you.

You also have a great day..

Robert

Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master