Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

How do I drain the coolant on a 2014 ProMaster with 3.0L I4…

How do I drain...

How do I drain the coolant on a 2014 ProMaster with 3.0L I4 diesel.

Mechanic's Assistant: What type of fuel do you typically use? When was your last oil change?

Diesel, I want to drain coolant to install block heater.

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the approximate mileage on your 2014 Promaster?

84,000

12/27/2021
Dodge Mechanic: Dimitri A,
 replied 11 months ago
Dimitri A

Hello, thank you for using Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. You may be automatically offered premium service or a phone call. You can ignore this unless you are in need of it. It can take me a few moments to respond as I may be typing or looking up service information.  

I need to drain coolant to install a block heater, How do I do that?I have looked and can not find a plug.
Dodge Mechanic: Dimitri A,
 replied 11 months ago

The next best thing if you can't find that plug would be to disconnect the lower radiator hose at the engine. This will get most of the coolant out. There may also be a drain on the engine block itself, but I do not suggest touching that since they usually are very corroded.

There are two sets of hoses, the lowest is about 3" in diameter, above it about 3" is another hose that is about 1.5" diameter. I think the large one goes to the turbo, does it matter which I disconnect.
Dodge Mechanic: Dimitri A,
 replied 11 months ago

Do not disconnect the one going to the turbo. There is no coolant there, just air. I will see if I can find a picture of it.

The 1.5" diameter hose above the 3" hose toward the bottom of the radiator looks to have a snap on / off connection, can I use that one then.
Dodge Mechanic: Dimitri A,
 replied 11 months ago

There may still be some coolant trapped where you are installing the block heater, but this should get most of it out.

I should have asked, it appears the Mopar block heater I bought goes into the water jacket, the transmission actuator heater just snaps into the transmission housing. But the block heater appears to go into the water jacket. It has an O-ring and the opening now is covered by a blank cover. Do you know does the block heater go in the water jacket.
Dodge Mechanic: Dimitri A,
 replied 11 months ago

Unfortunately, I can only seem to find info for the block heaters on the 3.6 gas engine. Usually what you have to do is knock out that blank cover with a punch and then the block heater gets fastened into the opening. If you're able to provide me with a picture of the cover and of the block heater you have, I'd be able to confirm that this is correct.

I don't have the heater in front of me where I am. It is similar to that yes. Is there a special procedure to refill and bleed air from system.
Dodge Mechanic: Dimitri A,
 replied 11 months ago

Okay. If the style you have is like that, you have to knock out the frost plug with a punch. Be careful not to let it fall in the engine. The you just slip the heater in and tighten that bolt until it is snug. I will see if I can find a refill procedure for you.

I don't see a specific procedure for this vehicle, but I will give you a generic one.

1. Fill the radiator to the top and fill the overflow to the appropriate level.

2. Run the engine and fill up the radiator as needed.

3. Once the radiator is full, install the cap.

4. Allow the engine to warm up to operating temperature.

5. Shut off the engine and allow it to cool completely.

6. Top up the radiator and overflow if necessary.

7. Repeat this until you no longer have to top it up in order to make sure all of the air is purged fro the system.

Dimitri I need to go pick up my Mom from hospital. Thank You very much you did an excellent job.
Dodge Mechanic: Dimitri A,
 replied 11 months ago
You are very welcome! Thank you for using Just Answer. If you have any follow-up questions about this procedure, please let me know.
Dimitri A