Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Starter was tested and is good starts sometimes others won't…

Customer Question
Starter was tested and...

Starter was tested and is good starts sometimes others won't do nothin

Mechanic's Assistant: When you turn the key, do you get a single loud click, or a series of rapid ones?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the year and model of your Dodge?

2006 1500 quad cab

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dodge
10/25/2021
Dodge Mechanic: Mike V., Auto Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Mechanic

Hi, my name is*****’ve been a technician on Just Answer since 2007, and I'll be helping you today. I'm sorry to hear you are having difficulties with your vehicle. Likewise, I know how inconvenient car trouble is, but we will get your vehicle back up and running quickly together.
May I ask whom I am chatting with today?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Charles

HI Charles, it's nice to meet you.

Before we get started I need some more details from you.

Which engine is in it?

Auto or manual transmission?

Is it a push-button start or a key?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
4.7 automatic key start

Thanks,

Is your airbag light on?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No

Ok, thank you.

When it's not starting is when it has to be tested. The two most common issues on these are the neutral safety switch, sometimes wiggling the shifter or even trying to start it in neutral can prove this is the problem. If it doesn't change anything, it could still be the issue, but further testing is required.

The other is the main fuse box under the hood. These are known problems with most of the Dodge brands. My only thing with this is if it's not all the time, it's not as likely as the switch on the transmission.

If the computer isn't seeing the truck in park, it's not going to send power to the starter relay to get you going. We can test this if you have a voltmeter and the truck is not starting at this time.

Let me know what you would like to do Charles.

Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not near truck but have in past tried neutral and still wouldn't what would I check with voltmeterSingle wire going to solenoid?

You will want to check the yellow/dark blue wire from the park/neutral switch for power. This sends a signal to the starter relay control and tells the computer to ground the starter relay. One minute while I try to locate a diagram of the switch for you.

The switch is inside the transmission, but the wiring harness is outside, so that is where you can do the testing. If the wire doesn't have any power, then the TIPM is the culprit or bad wiring. If there is power, then you may have to go into the transmission. You should also see power on the starter relay, if you remove it, there should be power on 2 of the 4 slots. If not, then the issue is the TIPM. This is the main fuse box under the hood.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Haven't had time to try

That's ok, the site probably kicked out some kind of email. Let me know when you can. I work every day but Sunday.