Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2011 Ram 1500, when I try to pair my phone I get the message…

2011 Ram 1500, when...

2011 Ram 1500, when I try to pair my phone I get the message "Uconnect Phone Not Available"

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the approximate mileage on your 2011 Ram 1500?

120,000

Mechanic's Assistant: How often is the Ram 1500 typically serviced?

Regularly, but I just bought it

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Dodge Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

Don't think so

8/15/2021
Dodge Mechanic: william readon,
 replied 1 year ago
william readon

hi and welcome to just answer, may i have the vin of your truck i need to run the factory options and see if it actually has uconnect and not just uconnect prep, that is when the radio has the uconnect buttons on the radio BUT not uconnect bluetooth, when the warning you have comes up on the radio that is an indication the truck is not equipped with uconnect.

if it actually was built with uconnect bluetooth then the bluetooth module has likely failed, i need the vin to determine the best answer for you

Dodge Mechanic: william readon,
 replied 1 year ago

thanks i'll be right back

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks!
Dodge Mechanic: william readon,
 replied 1 year ago

OK the truck was originally built with bluetooth so the MOST common fault is a failed uconnect module it's seperate from the radio and the latest part number (recommended to use since it's more likely to be compatible with later phones) is 5091960AD list is 509.00 you can google that number and get it cheaper from online dealers but warranty is different than if you purchase and  have it installed by a dealer, dealer purchase and install warranty is 2 years unlimited miles i cannot say for sure what over the counter warranty is or what warranty if purchased online you install it is.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is there any way to test if it's actually bad or is there anything else I should check for? I was hoping for more than "it's probably broke, get a new one".I know it's an older truck, so if that's all you have then that's all you hvae.
Dodge Mechanic: william readon,
 replied 1 year ago

it's very common to see the hands free module to fail especially the early ones, if you had a high level scan tool (NOT a simple code reader)  you could look for faults such as loss of comm with HFM (hands free module) you can try a battery disconnect to see if it's software locked which was common as well that's when the unit has never been updated and software glitches cause it to lock up, however when this happens it usually causes damage to the hardware.

if you have a test lamp and good electrical knowledge you can access the module behind the glove box and test for power and ground, HOWEVER 99% of the time the module has failed the older units were not super reliable as bluetooth in automotive applications was fairly new and the module went through 10 or more hardware updates since 2011.

fuse M10 in the underhood fuse box feeds the hands free module if it is blown something caused it to blow this fuse only feeds the hands free module and runs from the underhood fuse box to the hands free module, the wire color is RED with a LIGHT BLUE stripe  it is the power feed to the module with a test lamp you can test this wire for power the ground wire is BLACK with a LIGHT GREEN stripe and is the ground to the module the module is powered all the time and is turned on via software communication from the radio

william readon