Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I’ve bought a Dodge Ram 250 van from 1987. It has a 318

I’ve bought a Dodge Ram...
I’ve bought a Dodge Ram 250 van from 1987.
It has a 318 engine in, the engine is not turning over.
I’m planning on building this in to a little camper thing, and will be taking it out on trips and such, some trips will be longer.
Is there any suggestions to what engine to put in instead? Something that’ll fit over fairly easily or maybe even a Diesel engine for a longer lifetime and some better mileage than I think it’ll be getting with the 318
8/14/2021
Dodge Mechanic: william readon,
 replied 1 year ago
william readon

good evening and welcome to just answer.

there aren't too many options for replacement and a cummins is way too heavy to fit, a semi direct bolt in would be a 360 (5.9) which will give better power and fuel economy. semi bolt in means the 318 and 360 share many common things EXCEPT balance you will need to be sure you get a 360 torque converter and flexplate or there will be an engine vibration

if you're very handy and good at custom work a 4BT cummins conversion may be a viable option but it's a lot of work and expense

Dodge Mechanic: william readon,
 replied 1 year ago

a good used 360 engine and transmission might be sourced from a recycler however being as old as the van is you may need to do some legwork

william readon
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thank you very much.
Dodge Mechanic: william readon,
 replied 1 year ago

you're very welcome good luck in your adventure