marcus odell
marcus odell,
Experience:  mechanic at j and d auto sales
18899190

Draining the battery when key is off. NEW BATTERY. 2006.

Draining the battery when key is off
JA: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?
Customer: NEW BATTERY
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: 2006
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: DODGE cHARGER The old battery did the same way that why I both a new battery but that all I done so for
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: that"s it

Thanks for using JustAnswer.com! My name is Marc, and I'll try and answer your car questions. Lemme know what I can do to help! I'll start with some ideas of things to check, and then we can move on to more advanced diagnostics' if needed. Hit the 5 star rating button for me if happy with my service!

Battery drain can happen from any of the circuits on the car, or from parts like alternator, radio, starter, etc. Anything that could be left on with key off. Its possible that the modules on the car are staying powered up after key off, due to missing key off signal, or faulty accessory delay relay sticking on. Youll want to measure the amount of the draw using an ammeter, then pull fuses one at a time until the draw goes away. If you pull of the fuses and see that the draw is the same, disconnect starter and alternator and other battery direct fed items to see where the draw is coming from. Please let me know what you find, or if you have any questions!

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
do I need to start the car when checking with the ammeter

Nope, car will need to be off. We want to see how much amperage is being pulled from the battery when everything is supposed to be powered down.

Attaching ignition off draw test procedure to help with repair

Please let me know if you have any questions!

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Ok got it Thanks
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
ok Thanks

Good deal, you bet, always glad to try and help!
Lemme know what ya find, or if any questions come up

Thanks for using JustAnswer.com!
If happy with my service, please hit the 5 star rating button for me!