Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 1998 Dodge Ram 3500 V10 gas motor when you turn the…

I have a 1998...

I have a 1998 Dodge Ram 3500 V10 gas motor when you turn the heater control knob from off to any of the modes it kills the engine the only thing I have been able to find is that when this happens it's making me lose the 5volt reference out of my PCM

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you noticed an increase in fuel consumption? And how does the Ram 3500 start—same as usual?

There has been no change in fuel mileage it starts fine the battery test good and this just happened the customer started the truck one day turn the AC on and it killed the engine

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ram 3500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I'm fixing the ram myself I have tried every electrical pinpoint test that I can find

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

If I turn the heater control switch do any position other than off the truck will not start if I pull the blower motor relay the truck will not start if I pull the blower motor fuses the truck will not start if I unhook the blower motor the truck will not start

7/23/2019
Dodge Mechanic: Dodgerench, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 years ago
Dodgerench
Dodgerench, ASE Certified Technician

Hi, my name is Ed; welcome to JustAnswer!.

I swear... you see the strangest things here on JA!

I've been looking over the diagrams - like you - and it makes me wonder if you might have a bad ground at location G105 (front-driver side of engine block, appears to be about even with the water pump pulley). This ground supplies connection to both the PCM and the A/C compressor coil ground. If the ground isn't strong enough, it can take the PCM down and that will also kill your 5v reference.

I expect this to be one of those multi-lug type connections with either multiple eyelets screwed to a single stud or several wires spliced together at a single eyelet - or both. Unplugging the compressor should tell us something if the engine no longer dies at any rate.

Let me know what you find and we'll talk in a bit,

Ed

All of the grounds are good I have pulled every ground and cleaned it and also I did resistance test in my ground circuits every single one individually they all have less than 0.5 ohm of resistance unplugging the compressor kill the engine and also the engine will not start with the compressor unplugged as soon as you select the mode switch you lose the 5V reference coming out of the PCMThere are two 5volt supplies at the PCM I cut both those wires and I still lose my 5volt when I turn the mode switch on therefore I don't think it's losing it in the computer it's something dragging it down

Does it even run now? Or is it still dependent on the HVAC being turned off and then it'll start?

Correct it runs and drives down the road all day long until you turn the most switch on then it kills the engine with the switch still on the truck will not start if you turn the switch off the truck starts right up

Wow. I don't see a connection with the blower motor and you've pretty much proved it's not related by removing the relay under the hood. The HVAC doesn't have a direct link to the PCM except for the A/C request... I'll need to look into that closer.

Cutting those two 5v feeds was a daring and GOOD idea. Shorting of the 5v to ground takes the PCM down instantly. You might put an ohmmeter on that circuit just to be sure it doesn't somehow get shorted to ground somewhere. Expect there to be in the neighborhood of about 500 ohms between the harness side of the violet/ white 5v and body ground if everything is normal. The OTHER 5v goes to the trans - for the range sensor - and it's orange. Wire locations in the PCM are C1-17 (violet/ white, engine 5v), C2-31 (orange, trans)

I haven't crossed the power feeds between the PCM and HVAC yet, but you only have two power sources to the PCM. If you can confirm that the C1-2 and C1-22 pins stay hot and healthy when the PCM dies out, it'll tell us that there isn't a loss of power feed somewhere. The C1-2 feed is an ignition-on source, so it just might get some exposure to other circuits.

If you haven't noticed by now, the open (terminal) side of the PCM connectors have numbering cast in for easy identification. Easy if you have good eyes...

pin 2 and pin 22 stay hot and pain 31 and pain 32 stay grounded when you turn the motor switch on we are not losing power or ground there

What do you read on the 5v circuits? Dead zero volts? Any difference in resistance to ground?

It drops down to .018 on the 5v so noy completely dead but almost

Grrrrrreat.

I see that the A/C compressor relay is powered on the control side by the same F12 key switch output from Fuse 9 of the interior fuse block. Try pulling the compressor relay and see what happens.

The compressor relay is under the hood in the PDC.

When I pulled AC compressor relay that kills the engine and if the relays out it will not start

I gotta hear this again.

When you pull the A/C compressor relay... it kills the engine whether the compressor was requested or not? Did I get that right?

Could it be the ASD relay you're pulling? Those under-cover PDC road maps can be confusing.

that is correct!!!!!!!No its the ac compressor relay

Pardon me while I recollect my skull. It seems to have scattered.

Ive got 20 years experience ive never gave up on one but im at my witts end with this one

It's pretty obvious you know your way around and I'm thankful for that.

I have the Chrysler manual from 98 and I have spent countless hours and I cannot find the correlation of how it could be dropping the 5volt reference dead

So it really seems that the predicament centers on the A/C compressor. The engine will run and run fine until you ask for compressor operation?

Do you have a scan tool that can read sensor outputs and maybe engine restart counts? Restarts are included on the DTC page with the factory DRB scanner.

I'm wondering if the PCM loses its memory during one of these events. If so, any code you set ON PURPOSE will be gone right after an engine stall event.

The problem is definitely in that AC circuit the one thing I don't quite understand in the Chrysler manual for 98 is that hole entire AC circuit is shown on the fuel and ignition wiring diagram that also shows the 5volt references out of the PCM why would the AC circuit have anything to do with fuel and ignitionI do not have a drb and the problem is even with the Snap-on Zeus the truck dies so fast it pretty much instantly dies when you turn that AC switch on and the scanner doesn't pick anything upThe PCM is not the factory PCM the PCM in the truck has a sticker on it and shows it was replaced in 2013 but that doesn't necessarily mean anythingHow could unplugging the HVAC connector make the truck die while it's running or how could it make the truck not start ??

We seem to shuffle wiring pages together and since the PCM actually fires the compressor relay, that's probably why it's included there.

I'm still wrapping my head around that stalling when the compressor (or was it the blower?) relay is pulled.

The wiring diagram also has an anomaly - the same fuse 9 (from the inside fuse block) has different output circuits called out. One says it's F12, another says F18. If you combine them, they're each included in control side relay operation for A/C and the ASD.

Look again for me if you would. I see the ASD relay as being a rectangular ISO-20 type and it sits right next to the A/C compressor relay of the same sort. The ASD relay is closer to the big plug on the top of the PDC, right?

I'm still at work and likely to have to disappear any time now, so I'm going to float a new conspiracy theory.

I'm thinking you're losing your F12 feed through a bad splice, bad switch, cracked fuse... something. Turning on the A/C relay tips the circuit far enough that it can't maintain enough power at the PCM to keep it awake, so it takes a nap.

Go to Pin 2 at the PCM and probe the wire with a common 12v test light or voltmeter while you kill the engine. You should never see the test light go dim or out and voltage should remain close to battery voltage.

Plus the PCM should never lose memory during one of these events if it's the F12 (key on feed) that's affected. So scan the PCM with your Zeus and make note of codes. If none are present, SET one by unplugging your choice of anything - just make the MIL come on and have a code recorded.

Then kill the engine and rescan. If the code is still there, the PCM just switched off. If the code is gone, it did a major reset.

That piece of knowledge might help point us in the right direction.

I'm sorry for the misleading information everything I was telling you was from memory I was not at the shop I'm at the shop now and I apologize but the truck does not die when you pull the AC compressor relay and it does not die when you unplug the AC compressorAnything to do with that blower motor circuit is what's causing the problem

It's really the blower circuit then...

Well do the set a code and see if it remembers it after waking up thing anyway. I want to know if the PCM is taking a nap or dying.

And check the C1-2 feed.

C-1 pin 2 maintains battery voltage when the hvac switch is turned on and the 5v disappeares

OK, good info. What happens to PCM memory?

I just did your yest and unplugged the iac and yes after 5volt is restored it remembers the code it does not disappear

Oooooooo, I think we're getting close. Let's revisit the powers and grounds!

Pin C1-22 is the B+ feed and that's where memory is retained. If we lose that feed, everything goes in the trash.

Same thing for the two C1-31/ 32 grounds. If the B+ feed checks OK, let's load test those two grounds and see what happens. They come from the same G105 location, just spliced to two terminals.

Oh crap. You said it does NOT disappear. I read that wrong. Sorry, disreagard the last post.

Still thinking...

I jist retested and c1 pin22 does not lose battery voltage when the 5v is knocked out.Which would explain the PCM retaining the codeI have even added extra grounds to this motor and frame and PCM to body just hoping for a shot in the dark

Well, shoot, as long as we're looking at grounds...

The blower motor ultimately finds ground in the dash unit, where several other things like the Central Timer Module also ground. I wonder if the dash might have lost ground and becomes electrified when you turn the blower on. Check to see if any dash metal shows power when checked to a good ground, like the floorpan. The dash grounds (pretty much) by accident through the side attachment bolts - nothing really solid.

Everything I touch in the dash shows a good ground is there anywhere that we could overlay a ground to that HVAC switch I guess my question is where is it actually pulling that ground from

I'll take a look. BRB

Am I thinking about this incorrectly when I cut the two 5volt wires in connector one I still have 5 bolts coming out of the PCM but when I switched the HVAC it kills the 5volt coming out of the PCM

HVAC gets its grounding from a location in the center support area (sorry, diagram is awFUL). If you were to add an aux ground right at the switch, go to the 12 ga. black/ orange wire. It sits next to a black/ tan wire of equal gauge. It shouldn't show any real voltage at any time during operation.

Ooooooo. There should be only one 5v wire in C1. What locations did you cut?

Sorry yes I only cut though one 5volt in C1 the other 5volt is in C2 pin 31

I'll be heading home soon and while that sounds like good news for me on the surface... it's a*****if traffic is good. Will you be around later tonight to talk?

In the meantime, you could backprobe that blower motor ground circuit (black/ orange) under load to see if it has little to no voltage present. If you don't have residual voltage, the circuit is good and adding an aux ground wire won't help.

I just back probe the black and orange wire and loaded the circuit it has zero voltage present while the circuit is loadedI tested that black and tan wire and when I turn the HVAC switch it drops to 6 volts and then if I turn the blower motor speed up it gradually drops voltage and goes almost completely to 0 volts on the highest fan speed

That sounds right. The way the blower circuit is wired, they use resisted grounding to vary speed. It should drop to about zero if the ground was good.

I have to go for now. If you'd be so kind, edit out the dead ends and stuff we had and list again just what it takes to kill the engine. Pulled relays... that sort of thing.

Also think about upfit stuff - people love to add stuff to their HD trucks, so there might be something tapped in somewhere that shouldn't be.

Talk in a bit,

Ed

The truck dies if you unplug the blower motor if you unplug the blower motor resistor if you don't plug the HVAC connector if you remove the blower motor relay if you remove either blower motor fuse it will kill the truck if any of those things are unplugged or the fuses or relays are out of it it will not restart

Thanks for your patience. Sadly, I'm not seeing a connection between completely removing the blower motor from the truck running... or not.

My next action would be to go back to the PCM and do proper load testing of the two powers and grounds using something like a fog lamp bulb. They suck close to 4 amps, which is normally enough to expose issues and direct more testing. Since the PCM needs only a small number of basic power sources to work, let's concentrate on the C1-2, the C1-22 (both powers) and the two grounds (C31-32).

Test the circuits with the key on and feel free to wiggle harness wiring as needed to see if the bulb diminishes in intensity. In our case, also change blower speeds and turn the HVAC on and off to see if anything changes.

Look for any oddball wiring that doesn't seem to have a place and snip the wires if they seem suspicious. They can always be repaired later.

I haven't used a bulb but i have checked the power on pin 2 and 22 and we retain battery voltage on those circuits when i "load" the circuit by turning the hvac switch on and nothing changes on the ground side

Aaaaargh. Something basic seems to be taken away or added to when the switch is turned on. I can't identify it from here, but the PCM has few basic needs and those are powers, grounds and pizza. You've shown that the 5v isn't being shorted to ground and that's good. Memory is retained, so the PCM isn't being knocked out.

Stroll around the truck and look for oddball wiring that doesn't seem to have a purpose. Disconnect at will and retest. And I really really recommend load testing all four of the powers and grounds with a fog light or something - it's critical to system operation.

Pineapple on the pizza is a dead giveaway.

Where are you working from, by the way? My name's Ed.

Thanks Ed im Nick im in utah. The truck doesnt have any added wiring on it.I will load test the circuits with a light tomorrow

Thanks, Nick. Load testing although inconvenient has saved by butt many times. I'll look for your post tomorrow.

Aaaaaand just to be a pain, do the load testing with and without the HVAC blower turned on. I don't know why.

What does it tell you when i cut both the 5v supply wires coming from the pcm and i have 5v on those 2 wires until i turn the hvac switch then i lose my 5v.

You're testing on the harness side and still have 5v?

Specifically, what voltage do you see? 5.18 is normal on the engine side.

I cut the 5v wires 6 inches from the pcm im testing at the pcm connector

That's a long way from the connector. Maybe you got the wrong wires.

Colors?

I have the harness gutted open theres nothin wrong in the harness

Additionally, the engine shouldn't start with the violet-white wire cut. Besides MAP, TPS and such it also has cam and crank signal supply to contend with. If it started, that wasn't the wire.

C1 pin 17 violet/white and c2 pin 31 orange

And the engine still started?

No the truck did not start with those wires cut

You were scaring me there.

If you get the chance, check the voltage on those wires when connected and the engine won't start. I gotta go for now - 20 minutes until the alarm

Goood morning from Denver!

Say... does the heater blower even work? It's time to start splitting hairs now and I'm not sure it was stated.

Next, since the blower motor and relay have to be plugged in for the truck to run, recheck your powers and grounds in the state when the truck died. The connection between the two circuits continues to baffle me, but something obviously changes when the blower motor is involved, so let's look at it when things are acting up - there almost has to be a change.

Good morning! Yes the blower motor works on all speeds. Im completely baffled here. The powers and grounds stay the same when the problem occurs i have not "loaded" the circuit with a light bulb yet but other than that idk what else to do. The only thing i can find is the 5v signal disappears when you turn the hvac switchIf anything in the blower circuit is unplugged or removed i lose my 5v.

That's even weirder, that just unplugging an unused blower circuit could cause the problem - let alone turning it on.

By all means load test those powers and grounds and I'll try to keep an eye out for your post. I'm back at work now of course and you know how distracting that can be.

Is there any other test we could run to prove or disprove the pcm as being the problem?Could the pcm have an internal short causing the 5v to drop internally ??
I just ran another test that I'm not sure if I ran before I have 10 ohms of resistance at Pin 31 and pin 32 on connector one the ground circuit when I turn the HVAC switch I dropped down to .5 ohm ofresistanceI have 10 ohms of resistance with the switch off and .5 on the resistance with the switch onI have. 4ohm of resistance with the key off on pin 31 and 32 c1. I have 10 ohm resistance with the key on and .5 ohm resistance key on hvac switch on.

Are you testing from the 31 and 32 pins to a body or engine ground?

That circuit should be rock steady in any key state or blower motor position (for that matter). Do a voltage drop test from the battery negative post (right from the center of the post) to the engine block and to the body. Test in about all states you can imagine... engine off, key on, engine running, blower on, blower off. I'm wondering if there's a basic grounding problem that can't support the blower motor ground once it's active. You should have just about zero volts shown when testing like this and anything over a half-volt is definitely not right.

Sorry for the delay - Wednesday is electrical madness day here in Boulder, too.

Im testing pin 31 and 32 right at the negative battery post. It looks like g105 and g108 are involved here. But i can not find the location of where g108 is supposed to be located do you have anything thst shows you location of g108?No matter what I do that pain 31 and pain 32 have .5 ohm resistance or less with the key off and it goes to 10 ohms of resistance with the key on and it knocks back down to point five ohm of resistance when the HVAC switch is turned on
I do not see any correlation of how the ignition switch could be creating 10 ohms of resistance on the PCM ground circuitThe book does not even show the ignition switch using a ground

The reason I'd expect resistance to go up would be that the ground circuit is weak and the extra load overwhelms it. What did you find on the voltage drop test between the battery negative post and engine/ body?

I have a 5 ohm of resistance from battery post to engine and I have a 2.6 ohms of resistance from Battery Post to body ground I have added extra grounds to the body and it didn't change anything
5 ohm resistance sorry

So sorry to leave you hanging, Nick. Bad day.

I'm more inclined to look at voltage drop than resistance measurements because voltage drop better reflects capability of the electrical system under load. If your voltage drop as described is zero (unlikely perfect reading) the circuit is way WAY good. It's when you accumulate residual voltage in a ground circuit that should ideally show zero numbers when tested like this makes me think we have problems in that area.

Hey, I have to be honest about my availability and committal. I do work a daily job in the biz and they take a toll on what I can manage. If you'd rather, I'll opt out of your question to allow other experts to contribute.

When performing a voltage drop test on my pin 31 and pain 32 ground circuit with the key off I have a 000 volts with the key on I have Point 010 volts and with the HVAC switch selected I have .001 volts on my ground circuit
You have been super helpful and seem to be very knowledgeable i really appreciate your help i totally understand the rat race! I do need further assistance from some body on this problem if i can

Aw, thanks Nick. Your confidence in me makes my day.

It looks like we're all good on the grounds, but that leaves a major gap in where to go next. Were you able to do load testing on the PCM power circuits? Sorry, you might have told me but this week has been a blur with the disasters I've been handed at the shop.

Dodgerench
Dodgerench, ASE Certified Technician