Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I hear a knocking coming from the passenger dashboard. I…

I hear a knocking...

I hear a knocking coming from the passenger dashboard

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

I think it’s coming from a little over from the glove compartment

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

It’s been going for a while 2012 Dodge Charger

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Charger yourself? What have you tried so far?

No I am not

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No just that

6/27/2019
Dodge Mechanic: Thomas Ragusa,
 replied 3 years ago
Thomas Ragusa

hekllo my name is ***** ***** with me one moment while i look up some information for you

Dodge Mechanic: Thomas Ragusa,
 replied 3 years ago

so the clicking noise you here is a very common problem with all of jeep chrysler and dodge products. 90 percent of the time it is the recirculation door actuator. when you press the button to either let fresh air into the car or close it off, the actuator that moves the door to do so usually becomes weak and needs to be replaced. easy way to pin point which actuator that is, is when the clicking noise is happening try and put your hand on one of the actuators behind the glove box and feel which one is clicking. its not an expensive part nor labor intensive.

if you have any further questions please feel free to ask I am here for you.

How do I pull out the glove compartmentNo
Dodge Mechanic: Thomas Ragusa,
 replied 3 years ago

bare with me one moment while I get that information. just disregard the pop ups

if you open the glove box door you will see 6 philip screws, two on the side and I believe 4 up top. you dont need to take out the two screws closest to the latch. then you will want to remove the side panel to the right of the dash, there are two more screws behind that to remove. once those screws are removed you will need some force, you can use a flat screw driver to pry the glove box away from the dash cause there are clips that hold it in place.

you will also have to disconnect two wires, one on top of the box assembly and one on the silencer panel below the box. do not remove any plugs from the star connector, its the green and while connectors on the back of the glove box, you will know what im talking about when you see it. just disconnect the entire thing from the glove box by sliding it towards the center of the dash.

Ok thanks
Dodge Mechanic: Thomas Ragusa,
 replied 3 years ago

the actuator I am sure is the problem will be facing you right behind the glove box assembly. when it is clicking just put your hand on it to confirm. once the glove box is out you will have plenty of room to work with.

Thomas Ragusa