Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I WAS TALKING WITH MIKE V. ...TRYING TO GET INSTRUCIONS ON…

I WAS TALKING WITH MIKE...
I WAS TALKING WITH MIKE V. ...TRYING TO GET INSTRUCIONS ON REMOVING THE BACK HATCH PANEL ON A 2006 DODGE Durango...What he forwarded me was instructions on removing it with the hatch open. He is no longer responding. Let me elaborate a bit...those directions are fine.. IF you can get the back hatch open...So can you tell me how to open the back hatch if the Dodge Durango Tailgate Latch Back Liftgate Lock Actuator is not working..that's why I was trying to remove the panel..to replace the lock actuator. or how to remove the panel if the back hatch will not open.
6/11/2019
Dodge Mechanic: Thomas Ragusa,
 replied 3 years ago
Thomas Ragusa

hello, my name is ***** ***** will be happy to try and help you out today. give me just a few moments to look it up.

ok
Dodge Mechanic: Thomas Ragusa,
 replied 3 years ago

is this a power liftgate?

NO
Dodge Mechanic: Thomas Ragusa,
 replied 3 years ago

ok, so on the liftgate panel there is a small opening or a small hole with a cover on it. pop it off and get a nice precise flashlight. a long screwdriver will be needed too, see if you can see the latch from the hole

then what? I can see the backside of the mechanism from the inside..but nothing to pull or push. I am unable to go look tonight.. what would I do next if I can see it from the holea flat or Phillip's screwdriver?
Dodge Mechanic: Thomas Ragusa,
 replied 3 years ago

doesnt matter what type of screwdriver, you will see a solid rod from the door handle to the latch itself, make sure if its connected, if its connected and it wont open you will need to try and flip the lock arm on the latch itself to unlock the latch. if the rod is not attached to the latch then you need to move the lever that it is supposed to be attached to. I cant find a detailed picture of the latch itself to pin point what you have to move and pry on. also if you can try to take off as much paneling as you can and try and pry from the top of the tailgate panel to maybe get in there better. its not going to be easy but it can be done.

OK I will try that tomorrow...the car is not here right now....any alternative advice or is that it???
Dodge Mechanic: Thomas Ragusa,
 replied 3 years ago

thats really it. if your in the trunk area the top panel above the window just pops off with clips, dont know if it is covered my the headliner or not, then you can pull away some of the main panel to maybe get down into the panel alittle easier and get a better look at the latch.

Thomas Ragusa
OK THANKS
Dodge Mechanic: Thomas Ragusa,
 replied 3 years ago

your welcome, good luck, im here if you need anything else

Lift gate panel..Inside or outside of the SUV..I do not see anything that looks like a small opening..t here is a panel about 3" X 4" on the inside..that I have removed. .but no matter what I try and push on or pull on the gate does not open??
Dodge Mechanic: Thomas Ragusa,
 replied 3 years ago

you need to manually release the latch from behind the panel on the inside. follow the rod from the outer handle down to the liftgate latch and pry on the lever on the latch itself from behind the panel