Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My 99 Dodge Ram seems to be getting too mich fuel to the…

Hello, my 99 Dodge Ram...
Hello, my 99 Dodge Ram seems to be getting too mich fuel to the engine because while in idle the engine hesitates then stalls out as if it flooded. I ha e changed the TPS and IAC. The only thing that I haven't changed is the MAP sensor. Also, when I press thw gas pedal to keep i from stalling out, the engine seems to obviously rev up too much. What coul be the issue? Thanks in advance.
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/16/2019
Dodge Mechanic: Dodgerench, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 years ago
Dodgerench
Dodgerench, ASE Certified Technician

carthor 1, welcome to JustAnswer!. My name is Ed.

How does it run out on the road? Is performance as you'd expect under hard throttle?

Do you have a CHECK ENGINE lamp on? If so, have you scanned for codes?

Did this problem begin suddenly or is it a gradual thing - something that happens sometimes, not others?

Did the problem begin after a certain event? A part replacement maybe? Low battery that needed a jump?

Sorry, lots o questions, but lots o gaps to fill. Any information beyond what I've asked for is appreciated.

Talk shortly,

Ed

K thx Ed...It happens just when it idles after a several minutes.... But it run relatively good when driving.No check eng lightit perfoems well under hard throttle.I put a scan code.....i didn't get any codes.

Thanks!

What you're describing is consistent with a bad upstream oxygen sensor heater.

02 sensors are used as the first line of feedback to the engine controller between what it thinks is right for injector pulse and what really works.

More...

These units for some reason didn't detect lost oxygen sensor heaters like they should.

When the sensors don't heat, they output a signal that's consistent with a very rich running engine. The PCM/ engine controller then cuts injector flow, but only in the adaptive cell it's habitating in at the moment. That means you can cut fuel delivery at idle, but have 100% of what you need if you just crack the throttle a bit. Adaptive cells are staged to take over throughout the engine speed/ load spectrum, so there will be many involved. Switching between one (idle) to another (just above idle) toggles you between a corrupt cell and one that isn't so badly compromised.

By all means, replace the upstream oxygen sensor, which is located in the exhaust stream right at the entrance to the catalyst. Unlike later versions, your 99 should accept any aftermarket sensor, but factory units are always preferred.

Then do a 60 second battery disconnect to clear adaptive memory and you will begin as if just born. All adaptives will be back at the factory preset of zero and ready for new instruction. In the meantime, throttle response and idle quality should be close to what you'd expect and may improve with internal tuning.

T hx you know I did replace that one about year or so ago.

There are two 02 sensors - one before and one after the cat. The one I'm concerned about is screwed into the actual catalytic converter, right where the two exhaust banks come together. You know... the one that' harder to reach. Is that the same one?

YepYeppersI replaced that one after the check engine light came on once.

I'd expect that sensor to last a bit more than a year.

Do you have any sensor data on your scan tool?

Dodgerench
Dodgerench, ASE Certified Technician
Hey DW, I noticed that I didn't get any codes on my scanner. But when I started the truck it qas idling poorly. Probably because it was a cold start. Now after the engine warmed up the idle smoothed out. But some time it still rough idles after its hot and at a stand still.... I bought and upstream o2 sensor on order to replace.. Thia a good move right?

To use your words... yeppers. Go ahead and replace it, then do a 60 second battery disconnect to erase any fuel adaptives that are stored in the PCM. Oxygen sensor readings are used by the PCM to shift fuel stragegy according to their outputs, so if you have some corrupted adaptive cells, that corruption is carried over to cold starts as well. Then if the sensor actually heats enough to produce a good signal, there will be a period of time before the cells can be corrected to get air-fuel mixture back to normal. From what you've told me, I'd be pretty surprised if heating the upstream 02 sensor wasn't the problem.

Also check Fuse A (10 amp) in the underhood Power Distribution Center. This is a leg of the Autoshutdown Relay output that feeds your injectors and coil, but also supplies power to the 02 sensor heaters. The fuse won't be hot unless the engine is running.

If the fuse happens to be blown, the upstream 02 won't heat. The problem can be pretty much any part of the wiring to (and including) the UP02, but chances are best that it'll be something very close to the sensor - like a wire draped on the exhaust - that blew it. A melted 02 sensor wire still requires that the sensor be replaced.

Actually, the downstream sensor might also be fused on the same circuit (hard to tell in the diagram), so expand your search to the sensor and wiring down from the cat as well if needed.

OkThxThx will do. Will let you know what oi found. Out

Good luck!

Thx so much I replaced the o2 sensor it idled out smooth. Thank again.
Hello, Dodgewrench I just wanted to thank you for your assistance helping me with my 1999 Dodge Ram 2500 It's running like a champ. My next project on it is replacing the heater and evaporator core along with the AC compressor. Thanks again.

That's great news! Well... except the pulling the dash part. :/