Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2001 3.9v6 Starts cold fine runs for about 5 minues and

Customer Question
2001 3.9v6 Starts cold...

2001 3.9v6 Starts cold fine runs for about 5 minues and stops and will not restart ?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

Checked all conections gas cap and changed shut down relay still stops

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Relay yourself? What have you tried so far?

Change relay this morning that I got from NAPA after it shut down will not restart

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It will start cold and as soon as starts to get warm is shuts off like you turned the key off

Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dodge
3/16/2019
Dodge Mechanic: Dodgerench, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 years ago
Dodgerench
Dodgerench, ASE Certified Technician

Hi, my name is Ed; welcome to JustAnswer!.

Do you see a "NO BUS" message in the odometer when it's stalled out?

No

Have you been able to pull codes from the engine controller (PCM)?

I can describe a manner to do that without a scan tool if it would help.

Begin by hopping in the truck. (By the way, what kind of truck is this?)

Insert the key to the ignition.

Roll the key from LOCK to RUN three times within five seconds, leaving the key in the RUN position after the last cycle.

Watch the odometer window for a change from miles/ km to code display.

Codes (if any) will be shown in P-code format; P followed by four numbers, such as P0123.

The last thing shown will be "done", whether any codes were displayed or not. This tells you that the code read feature had been properly initiated and completed. Lack of "done" at any time suggests otherwise, so try, try again. I'm pretty sure the 2000 model year included this test, but I might be wrong - it was gone during the 1998-99 model years and began a return for 2000, but it seems like the truck line worked.

When you've completed the code-read, do me a favor and run the engine until it dies and stays dead. Then open the hood and locate your PCM, which will be a metal box (about 6" x 9") with three connectors attached. Dakota/ Durango puts it on the passenger side inner fender near the air cleaner, full-size trucks have it on the bulkhead on the passenger side and full size vans place it almost smack in the middle of vision as you open the hood.

With the key in the RUN position, wiggle each of the three connectors while listening for a click noise coming from relays in the underhood Power Distribution Center. Inciting a click means you're restoring consciousness to the PCM and it might start if wiggled just the right way. This is a strong indication the PCM has an internal electrical board break and will have to be replaced.

Also verify for me that you do or do not have a NO BUS message displayed in the odometer with the key on while the engine will not start. It takes close to 30 seconds after key-on for this to appear, so you may not have noticed it before. This is also a good indicator that the PCM is not conscious.

Running for a short while before stalling is a hallmark of a failing JTEC engine controller your 2000 truck uses - no matter what nameplate. Alternately cooling or heating the PCM externally can extend operation from cold start (by packing with ice) or can shorten its run period - or prevent engine start altogether - if heated. Board breaks that can sometimes be detected by wiggling the connectors are always a sign of a defective controller, but it's not the only manner they die - only the most recent as the units have aged. Underhood heat has always been a common factor in their demise.