Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I just gapt the plugs at 40 an it starts right up but theres…

Customer Question
I just gapt the...

I just gapt the plugs at 40 an it starts right up but theres no pep when i hold the brake an push the gas patel all the way down. it only hits 2200 rpm an know higher bro whats wrong with it

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

2001 dodge ram 1500 5.9 liter

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ram 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I gap the plugs to 40 because i looked it up an yes im doing it my self im a mechanic but cant find the problem it idles for about 10 sec then it drops like its going to die but dont just jugs if u hit the gas it comes back up for another 10 sec then drops again

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dodge
5/31/2018
Dodge Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 2 months ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today. In some cases, I may need more info to assist better. I apologize for any delay.
I try to be here most weekdays and some weekends. If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Test the fuel rail pressure. You want to be between 44 and 54 psi at idle and when accelerating. If any lower then this then most likely the fuel pump is faulty needing replaced.

If the fuel pressure is o.k. then I would have the exhaust back pressure tested. The exhaust back pressure should not exceed 1.5 psi at any rpm range. If it does then I suspect a restricted catalytic converter.

Now if these are all o.k. then this issue can be due to a failing transmission torque converter. If it is locking up or dragging it will bog the engine down like this as well and will have to be replaced.

These need to be checked into to then locate and repair this fault here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above). You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question. I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks, Pete