Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

A/c and fan dropping to nothing while highway driving.

Customer Question
A/c and fan dropping...

A/c and fan dropping to nothing while highway driving. turning off and back non resets it, but within 1/2 hour no cold air movement. 2005 sxt. due to parking lot shudder problem, I'm guessing built around july of 2004.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do the vents feel cold? Is there a coolant leak?

If there was coolant leak, I would assume stopping and restarting wouldn't temp fix the fan.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '05 Dodge?

2005 sxt 3.5 L

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing yet. been looking for similar complaints on the Magnum Forum.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

When first turned on with recirculate, cool mist out of driver side center vent.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dodge
5/30/2018
Dodge Mechanic: Robert R, ASE Certified Master replied 2 months ago
Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 31+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

Can you post the last 8 digits of the VIN and the miles on the odometer so that I can do some research on this concern for you?

Do you still hear the blower motor running and just no airflow through the vents??

Keep me posted...

I also need to let you know that my responses may be delayed because I may be helping another customer, or I may be temporarily offline. Your understanding is greatly appreciated.

Thank you...

Robert

Vin 5h537408 and approx 46000 miles

No, I don't hear the fan motor.

Then most likely the fan motor itself is failing. Usually these take out the blower motor resistor also. So I HIGHLY recommend to replace both...

If the fan runs on high speed only, you probably still need to replace both because the blower motor likely caused the resistor to fail..

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert

I just wanted to check in with you to see if you need more help with your concern. A non rated question normally times out within 7 days, so I wanted to stay in contact with you to see if the problem has been solved.

If I have helped you resolve your concern and you have already rated my answer, I want to say "Thanks", and let you know you can still follow up on this concern if needed. Also, I want to let you know you can bookmark ->>> My Profile Page <<<- in case you have another automotive question in the future. Make sure to begin your question with "Robert R" so I will be able to easily find it

If we are still working on your concern, please post a reply so we can continue.

If you are happy with my answer and have not left a rating, please do so asap to complete the transaction. It is greatly appreciated as I recieve no compensation until you do so...

If you're not satisfied with my answer, BEFORE rating, please post a reply with a short explanation as to why. I may have a better explanation for you... It also helps me to refine my answers to help future customers more thoroughly and efficiently.

Since your answer didn't seem to take into account some of the information I gave you, ie. turning the car off and then on caused the fan to blow air again, I had the a/c recharged with a dye to find any leaks. Apparently there is a pressure sensor which shuts down the system when Freon pressure drops too low.

You stated: " I had the a/c recharged with a dye to find any leaks. Apparently there is a pressure sensor which shuts down the system when Freon pressure drops too low."

When the system is low on Freon it can shut off the A/C Compressor but it does NOT shut off the Blower Motor that blows the air for the inside vents. You stated that the blower was not working at all. A low refrigerant charge would have NOT caused the blower to stop working, it will ONLY turn off the Compressor and radiator fan (in engine compartment), Not the blower motor... You may find that this happens again after a short time... keep me posted and let me know if this happens to occur again...

Thank you and thanks for using JustAnswer!

Robert

Robert