Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I am not super mechanically inclined car wise. I have a 2005…

Customer Question
I am not super mechanically...
I am not super mechanically inclined car wise. I have a 2005 Dodge Ram 4.7 liter that over heated and lost power. She’ll try to start but won’t turn over. I started to remove everything to take the engine out myself for the replacement to save money, when I noticed the timing belt completely slacked on the left side could that be my problem? When it originally happened I took off the valve cover and it was cracked where it had thrown a rocker arm I fixed that and still the same thing. I had someone come out and look at it but they did no test or anything really and just said it deff sounded like I wasn’t getting compression.
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dodge
5/29/2018
Dodge Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 2 months ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today. In some cases, I may need more info to assist better. I apologize for any delay.
I try to be here most weekdays and some weekends. If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

The slack in the chain, as well as the crack in the head or around the rockers and the no crank issue here, are all related to the overheating issue here.

I suspect it overheated to where it caused cylinder wall damage and the engine seized up to where it locked up and causes the slack and crack you saw.

The best thing to do is if you have a borescope or can obtain one to use look into each spark plug hole to see if any cylinder wall scoring ( burn marks or gouges ) are seen. I suspect the engine was damaged beyond repair which unfortunately can occur in some cases to where it is unrepairable and needs to be replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above). You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question. I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks, Pete

There was only a crack on the valve cover (the plastic) from where it threw a rocker cause they just sit there is there any other way to tell without a borescope?

If it threw a rocker at the same time it overheated though this usually indicates the engine locked up when it was running. The only other way to check this is to take apart the engine for internal inspection and repair or remove the spark plugs and see if you can put a wrench on the crankshaft bolt to turn it by hand. If it will not turn then the engine is locked up and needs to be replaced.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed. Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

The first cylinder in the picture you sent shows black streaks down the wall. That is marking from scoring. You will have to have the engine inspected further seeing if it can be repaired. If it cannot be then it will need to be replaced. Crank bearings, rod condition, piston and piston ring condition, if it can be bored or honed out etc. This is usually best done by a machine shop.

Thanks Pete