Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Need to replace the transmission in a 2005 Dakota, 4WD, V8,

Customer Question
Need to replace the...

Need to replace the transmission in a 2005 Dakota, 4WD, V8, 4.7 L engine (no turbo), quad cab, short bed 6 speed manual. Seems very hard to find and rebuilt is worth more than the truck. Since the 4.7 V8 was used on many other vehicles with standard transmissions, can a different tranny be used without a lot of hassle? Always thought 6 forward gears were too much for this truck. Joe

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?

Clutch needed replaced, trannys been vibrating in lower gears for some time. Pilot bearing came out in pieces.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Dakota yourself? What have you tried so far?

Mechanic is fixing, but no one can find a used drop in 6 speed, let alone one with low miles.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just need to know if other standard trannys can be used?

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dodge
5/27/2018
Dodge Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 2 months ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today. In some cases, I may need more info to assist better. I apologize for any delay.
I try to be here most weekdays and some weekends. If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

I honestly do not see a way to install a different transmission due to the gear ratio and computers in this model here. One place I use to find used parts is http://www.car-part.com.They can even ship it to you. Just enter your vehicle info and what you're looking for and a list will come up on who has it as well as the cost and location and contact info. This would probably be the best way to locate the correct transmission for your model here. If this was already checked into let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above). You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question. I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks, Pete