Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Have RAM 2500 2003 5.9 Cummins. It takes about 2-5 minutes…

Customer Question
Hi, have RAM 2500...

Hi, have RAM 2500 2003 5.9 Cummins. It takes about 2-5 minutes after tart before it starts to charge. Have switched alt, without difference. It's been like that some two years now. After it starts to charge, it works normal. Also it dryes batteries if cable shoes left connected overnight

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Yes, all electrics turn on and works normally, even engine after glowing works.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ram yourself? What have you tried so far?

Haven't worked som much with issue. Just switched alt, and it didn't helped ...

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Gone c. 150t ml. if it makes any difference

Submitted: 25 days ago.Category: Dodge
5/26/2018
Dodge Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 25 days ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today. In some cases, I may need more info to assist better. I apologize for any delay.
I try to be here most weekdays and some weekends. If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Your vehicles engine computer controls the charge signal to the alternator. If there is an internal fault with the engine computer it will cause the delayed charge your seeing as well as can cause a battery drain. This is the light green wire that connects to the alternator. Make sure this wire is o.k. with no issues.If the wire is o.k. then you will need to test the signal on it. When started you should see a small voltage signal ( my info doesn't show me how much ) but this is used to turn on the charge. If you do not see this signal and the battery and battery cables are all o.k. then the computer most likely needs to be replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above). You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question. I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks, Pete

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Ok. I'll check it but take couple of days, because car is not here at hte moment. Thanks so far.

Your welcome and no problem

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete