Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2008 dodge avenger no throttle response. I changed the gas…

Customer Question
2008 dodge avenger no...

2008 dodge avenger no throttle response. I changed the gas pedal and throttle body and battery. the car has hard starts but idles fine. push the gas pedal with no change.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you changed a battery before?

Yes but the battery was about 6 years old so I changed it anyway

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Avenger yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I have replaced the gas pedal and throttle body

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Cant think of anything else

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dodge
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/26/2018
Dodge Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 2 months ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today. In some cases, I may need more info to assist better. I apologize for any delay.
I try to be here most weekdays and some weekends. If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Have you had the fault codes checked/read out at all to see what codes are set with this issue here?

Let me know,thanks Pete

no I have no way to get them checked

O.k., it is best to have the codes checked as this will help to diagnose and locate the fault here. You may have already corrected the fault but the codes may need to be cleared out to allow proper operation as the computer can store a code and until it is cleared out it may not allow proper engine operation. In know in some cases a local parts store will rent out a scan tool to check fault codes and I know they usually check the codes free of charge as well.

But what you can try without knowing the codes, is to disconnect both cables from the battery and take the cable ends and touch them together for about 15 seconds. This will reset the computer. See if it operates then at all.

If this still does not work inspect the wiring running to the throttle body and to the accelerator pedal for any wiring or connection issues.

If these are all o.k. then, unfortunately, the codes do have to be read out to help locate and repair this fault here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above). You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question. I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks, Pete