Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

1999 chrysler 300 with auto climate control. Blower fan

Customer Question
blows constantly even if system...
1999 chrysler 300 with auto climate control. Blower fan blows constantly even if system is shut off. It only goes off when i turn off the key. I am competent in using a voltmeter. What should i begin with to troubleshoot this issue. I also am getting no control over the vents or temperature.
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dodge
5/26/2018
Dodge Mechanic: Jim, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 months ago
Jim
Jim, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today

Hey Jim

Check the voltage on the Red/Light Green wire at the blower motor power module while changing fan speed. The voltage should vary as a different fan speed is selected.

If the voltage varies on the Red/Light Green wire, replace the blower motor power module.

The blower motor power module is located under the A/C case on the right side.

It is my goal to give you 5 star service, so please give me a 5 star rating before leaving the site today, so I get paid for my time.

the blower motor power module has juice even when the havc controller is turned off?

I would have to pull a wiring diagram to verify that, this is the factory test procedure for your condition.

Reason why i ask is because the fan blows at full speed constantly unless the key is turned off.

Yes, the procedure i have sent you is for that exact condition you are having.

Ok. I will go check. Just wanted to make sure we are on the same page.

One other thing is this automatic or manual climate control

Automatic

OK do your test and see what you come up with

At full speed on the know it gets .09 volts and and lowest speed it gets .11
Knob

That doesn't seem right, i am trying to find a diagram standby

For some reason i can't get the electrical diagram to open, i will re open your question and hopefully another tech will be able to assist you further, thank you for using just answers.

Dodge Mechanic: sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech replied 2 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

Possible causes for this are the power module, control head or a short to ground on the contol wire. The power module is most likely. What you need to do is unplug the power module connector and check for a short to ground on the control wire. If it is not shorted then replace the module module.

If it is shorted, which I do not expect, then unplug the control head and see if the short goes away to determine if the problem is the control head or wiring.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Which wire is that. I also ran the self diagnosis and only received code 24. I pulled that actuator and it does not move. I do have the five volt signal wire voltage.
It may be monday before I can get to it

The red/light green wire that you already were testing.

Nope to the blend door module. In my original question i had an issue with mode door actuator as well as heat and fan being on gigh speed all the time.

Replace the actuator that isn't moving.

Buying it today

Ok.

Got the actuator replaced. Fan still blows at full speed all the time. I have a code 26 now. All other codes are cleared. I pulled the fan off the back of the head unit and cleaned all the dirt out of their. I disconnected the battery and will hook it back up in the morning. Which color wire am I supposed to check. My diagrams are small and im not sure.
I believe on this unit according to my diagram it comes from the bcm. The wire i already tested.

You're testing the red/light green wire.

Ok. Will do in the morning. All codes are clear from the module after the reset. It will be around 10 a.m.

Ok.

Have bot got a chance to test for ground fault. My daughter pulled the blower motor control and it was visibly bad. It had corrosion all over it. When we plugged the new unit in the fan no longer blows. So im guessing it would be internally shorted out. On my diagram it chows the signal wire actually coming from the bcm. So to clarify that would be the fuse i would need to pull to check for a short. And should I pull the hvac fuse as well?

Can you post the VIN?

2C3HE66G7XH632029

Where did the replacement part come from?

Bought it new from ebay

Do you have the brand and part number?

Sorry it took so long to get back. It was an unbranded part. I was finally able to get to look at it.

Can you use a test light to check for power and ground at the power module?

It had it before i installed the new part. Have not checked since. I will do that and get back with you either sunday or monday

Ok.