Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ac Blowing Hot air. I have not. But the Compressor kicks on…

Customer Question
Ac Blowing Hot air. ...

Ac Blowing Hot air.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant level? Have you checked the hoses for leaks?

I have not. But the Compressor kicks on and off.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Dodge?

2008 Dodge avenger R/T

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Avenger yourself? What have you tried so far?

I checked some of the fuses. Put freon in it, trying to charge it. the Autozone guy helped me yesterday.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just that I think it has a short somewhere

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dodge
5/26/2018
Dodge Mechanic: sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech replied 2 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

There are quite a few possible causes for the a/c not blowing cold and it's going to require some testing to determine exactly what is wrong. The problem may be low charge, a bad pressure transducer, the compressor itself, a restriction in the system, wiring, the TIPM, and the control head.

Does the compressor engage?

It engages and stops. It's been recharged. Today it blew cool air but it made a noise after a while.. And I'm not100% sure, but I think there's a burn smell

Was the noise and smell from the compressor?

Have no clue. I was driving

It sounds as if the compressor or compressor clutch may be failing.

Does it normally have the burn smell?

If the compressor or clutch are failing? Yes, it can.

Then it must be that. How do u check the clutch?

It needs to be physically inspected.

Ok. But i just relized that it blows cold air from the passenger side

If the clutch does actually stay engaged and it cools correctly on one side then odds are you have a dual zone system with a broken blend door or bad actuator.

Would I jave to replace the entire compressor?

It would have to be replaced if it failed internally.

Now the car is overheating. It has antifreeze

How did you check coolant level?

When does it overheat?

It did it on Friday, didn't have much coolant. Waited a little over an hr. Put coolant and it still was overheating. Didn't drive it til today. And it was low. I chkd for leaks and nothing. Put more and it started to overheat again. More so when I turned the AC on. I live in Phoenix

If the coolant was low it is due to an external or internal leak. The leak needs to be found and repaired.

With either leak, wouldn't there be signs?

If it's an external leak, large enough, and you inspect thoroughly enough.

How do you check an internal leak?

A block test kit will sometimes work, otherwise if it's using coolant without an external leak then the engine has to be consuming it. I haven't seen any internal engine issues of this nature on this vehicles.

you can buy that test kit at autozone?

You should be able to.

https://www.autozone.com/loan-a-tools/block-tester/oem-engine-block-tester/391378_0_0

Had the mechanic ✔️ it and he didn't find a leak. He checked the reservoir and it was not cracked and in working order. He did change the serpentine belt cause that was squeaky. But last night I filled it with coolant and this morning it was empty

If it isn't leaking externally and is using coolant then there has to be an internal leak.

How internal? I mean from where?

Internal in the engine. The block or heads.

the heads or blocks could be bad

Yes.