Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

1990 Didge. 1990 Dodge Dakota. 122,000 miles. It has been…

Customer Question
1990 Dodge Dakota. 122,000...

1990 Dodge Dakota. 122,000 miles. It has been sitting for a few years. When I bought it I changed all the fluids a filters.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? How has your mileage been lately?

Problem is it runs great at all speeds except rough idle and sometimes dies when idling. No problem starting again after it dies.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 600 yourself? What have you tried so far?

122k miles. I am going to make the repair myself

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No I don’t think so

Submitted: 21 days ago.Category: Dodge
5/1/2018
Dodge Mechanic: Amedee, Dodge Technician replied 21 days ago
Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

Was anything replaced for this condition up to this point?

Are you looking for some possible causes?

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
1990 Dodge Dakota V6...122k miles. Runs fine at all speeds except idle. It runs rough at idle and sometimes even dies.

Thank you for that information. The most likely possible caused for this condition is an air/vacuum leak, faulty throttle position sensor or lazy idle air control motor. Just be sure the throttle body is clean and the throttle plate and cables are not sticking in anyway.

Keep in mind this is a "starting point". My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
I am waiting for the parts that you suggested to arrive. I will
Let you know if that solves the problem
Dodge Mechanic: Amedee, Dodge Technician replied 19 days ago

Sounds good!

I am glad I can help!

Please don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STARS or SMILEY FACES" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

I just ask that you allow time in between replies as I may be helping other customers or offline spending time with the family.

Also, if you are a member or if you have a subscription to the site, you still need to rate my answer in order for me to get credit for assisting you with your question.

You should see the rating system towards the top of the page.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks and have a great day!!

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
one More thing to check that you didn’t mention is an OBSTRUCTED AIR INTAKE.After I ordered the parts, I discovered that the large air intake hose was almost completely blocked by a wasp nest.I removed the obstruction and now the truck idles properly.I was able to cancel the parts order before it shipped.
Dodge Mechanic: Amedee, Dodge Technician replied 18 days ago

YUP! That will do it! Glad to hear it is all fixed.

Thanks for the heads up.

Have a great weekend and please don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as 5 stars or smiley faces.

It has been a pleasure working with you.

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
Do you expect me to pay even though your advise did nothing to solve my problem?

My advice lead you to the problem. So yes, I do expect you to honor your good faith deposit.

I am glad I was able to point you in the right direction.

YOUR WELCOME

Amedee
Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician