Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

No power anywhere with key on after alternator went out and

no power anywhere with key on after alternator went out and was replaced. 1998 dodge 5.9 cummins 24 valve.
JA: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: constant
JA: What is the model of your '98 Dodge?
Customer: ram 2500
JA: Are you fixing your Ram yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes, alternator went out siezed up lost all electrical power. replaced alternator. still no power anywhere.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hello and welcome!

My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question.

Your saying that the interior and exterior lights do not work?

No brake lights or dome lights?

NO power anywhere at all correct?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
correct

What is the battery voltage at?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
12.5

And what about voltage on fuse number 1 under the hood?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
the 140 amp alternator fuse? I haven't checked that. if that fuse is blown will i lose all power?

No. This is fuse number 1. It is a 50 amp fuse. This fuse needs to have FULL battery voltage on it. In fact, fuses 1 through 6 all need to have voltage on them. If not, you have a faulty connection between the battery and power distribution center or a faulty power distribution center.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok, is that common after alternator failure? I put new alternator in last night. What are the next things i should check to restore power? The order of possible problems.

based on my experience dealing with customers, yes it is common because they jump the battery backwards causing main fuses to blow or they do not tighten up the battery cables all of the way. You have two batteries right? Just one of the connections at the one battery can cause this.

If there is full battery voltage at both batteries but nothing to the power distribution center, it can only be three things. Bad connection, bad main power wire (going to PDC) or a faulty power distribution center. It is as simple as that.

Keep in mind this is a "starting point". Further testing may need to be done to pinpoint which is the root cause of this condition (I can help with that as needed). My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What and where is the PDC? Where is the power distribution center? I never tried to jump motor. Yes two Batteries. Alternator siezed ant lost all power at same time.

The power distribution center is the fuse box or the component that contains all of the fuses under the hood. Just follow the main positive battery cable to the fuse box. That is the PDC.

You can also check all of the main grounds, but if you did not remove them when the alternator was replaced, they should not be an issue.

I am glad I can answer all of your questions.

Please don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STARS or SMILEY FACES" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

I just ask that you allow time in between replies as I may be helping other customers or offline spending time with the family.

Also, if you are a member or if you have a subscription to the site, you still need to rate my answer in order for me to get credit for assisting you with your question.

You should see the rating system towards the top of the page.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks and have a great day!!